Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Singlespeed freewheels?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Are Dicta the best, budget option? Will be going on a kids bike..

drofluf
    Free Member

Not if you want to ever remove it! Unless the design has changed there’s no way to remove without brute force and ignorance. PLus mine lasted less than 100 miles before it died

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I got a sturmey archer one the other day

£12 from a bike shop on ebay, fitted and works well,

found dicta to not last as long as i hoped, quality seems to of gone down a little

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flashes
    Free Member

If you can afford them, White industries………………..sorted

ronjeremy
    Free Member

flashes – Member

If you can afford them, White industries………………..sorted

erm

Will be going on a kids bike..

GregMay
    Free Member

Halo do one that is ok IIRC

Stevet1
    Free Member

What size do you need? used to use Shimano or ACS on the BMX before switching to a freewheel.

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies chaps 🙂

@Stevet1: Thinking of starting with 18/20 and seeing how she gets on with it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Hmm, think I’ve got some 16T I could have let you have but nothing bigger than that.

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Steve, I’ll try an 18/20 to start with 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

Just noticed there’s an 18T Shimano one in the classifieds(Nowt to do with me!) no idea if it’s a good price or not.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shed-clear-out-santa-cruz-specialized-rapha-chris-king-hope-tyres-more

stevied
    Free Member

Oooh, cheers. Well spotted 🙂

xcmuttley
    Free Member

Definitely go with anything but dicta! Horrendous to remove and trust me it will need removing before you know it! Sturmey is good imho

Jerm

I’ve found the shimano ones excellent provided you don’t jetwash them

flashes
    Free Member

WI are for life. Rebuildable. Transferable. What’s not to like……

shermer75
    Free Member

Sturmey Archer = cheap, heavy

Shimano = mo’ money, lighter 🙂

josemctavish
    Free Member

Dicta will be fine for a kid’s bike, I’ve had two on my commuter and not had an issue – ran the first one for about 5 years, commuting every working day. Just drip a bit of oil in every few weeks and make sure you us copper slip or something when installing. Was a bit of work to get off, but a youngster maybe won’t tighten it on quite as much?

13thfloormonk

I’ve been eyeing up that livid pink Charge Plug singlespeed and was having this very same debate, last time I singlespud I remember the stock freewheel dying very quickly, and being a slippy, clunky nightmare up to that point.

Is there some basic maintenance that can be carried out on these units? I guess there’s a bearing, and there’s the pawl mechanism…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed freewheels?’ is closed to new replies.