Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Singlespeed frames.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Finally I think I'm going to have to retire my trusty GT Avalanche as I've found a crack in the paint. It was resurrected as a singlespeed a couple of years ago and has been fantastic.

Now I'm looking for ideas on what to replace it with. I'm looking for something with similar geometry, rigid (possibly with Rockshox SID). I've got lists of suppliers so I have a list of manufacturers. What I'm looking for now are pictures and real life experiences.

Thanks.

rOcKeTdOg

show the list and i'm sure the pics will match it

donsimon
    Free Member

And how do I get the real life experiences?? Thanks

rOcKeTdOg

i was assuming the pics would be posted by the owners, who just might have the experience you require, maybe i was assuming too much??

i can post pics of the SS i've had/have but obviously if they aren't on your list it'd be a waste of time

sorry for trying to help 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

List 1.

list 2

A bit of a mis-understanding I think, normally some smartar5e just provides a google list, which I already have. 😆

What you got then?

tails
    Free Member

Personally I'd buy either a cotic simple (steel) chameleon (aluminium) ibis tranny (carbon) although they vary in price.

psling
    Free Member

I'm going to have to retire my trusty GT Avalanche… I'm looking for something with similar geometry

How about a GT Avalanche? 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

I don't think the new ones have the same geometry as the old ones, this is a 1997/8 vintage. 😉 And it's not a SS frame either. 😉 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You could make one SS, with an excentric BB or a chain device. Or even get an old steel frame and get new dropouts, I has some rohloff dropouts fitted to an old kona frame by bob jackson in leeds.

Have much do yo uhave to play with?

Sam

I would say your lists are incomplete – personally, I'd get a Singular.

A Hummingbird if you want small wheels

A Swift if you want big wheels

A Pegasus (or Ti Hummingbird) if you have lots of money and want one of the finest hardtails going.

But then I'm a little biased.

shermer75
    Free Member

I've had a Cotic Simple before- really, really good. Can't recommend it enough…

sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

cotics are fuken cool – do they still make the simple though?

donsimon
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – Member

You could make one SS, with an excentric BB or a chain device. Or even get an old steel frame and get new dropouts, I has some rohloff dropouts fitted to an old kona frame by bob jackson in leeds.

Have much do yo uhave to play with?

The GT already has a chain device so I'm looking for sliding drop outs.

Money depends, some of the stuff I've seen is 1,500-2,000 dollars!! That kind of money would go towards a road bike. Maybe €500 for frame anything interesting considered.

Singular Kite looks interesting. 😀

singlespeedstu

But then I'm a little biased.

Can I take a guess that you might have a connection to Singular Cycles then Sam? 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

Loving the tweed on your flickr page Sam! 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Then go for a singular, i'd love a hummingbird if there was one big enough as i can't afford new wheels, fork and frame at the mo.

sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

Singulars are cool – but tweed is for tossers

A kite looks a long way from an avalanche

donsimon
    Free Member

I know, just said it looks good, keep the SS frame ideas coming. I'm not ruling anything out at the moment. I'm looking at road frames as well, I'm also after a training bike. 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Pipedream sirius, good value,

theres also an 853 inbred in the classifieds

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=18255&src=froogle

that will make any frame SS compatable without chain tensioner

donsimon
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – Member

Pipedream sirius, good value,

Got one.

EBB only 150 quid!! Thanks for the idea.

I'm really looking for experiences of sliding dropout frames and their usage in the real world.

epicyclo

A good EBB (eg Singular with Phil Wood) is better than sliding dropout (Voodoo, On-One).

A poorly executed EBB is worse than sliding dropout (Voodoo, On-One).

Voodoo dropouts stayed firm after the paint was removed from under the sliders. Must clamp it down really tight.

On-One had slippage problem with disk side, but solved by reversing tensioner. End of problem.

Singulars with Phil Wood EBBs, just perfect, absolutely no problems..

luked2
    Free Member

Another vote for the Singular. Mine is great.

But you don't have to use daft bars….

MrSmith
    Free Member

dialled love/hate (phil wood EBB)

julianwilson
    Free Member

Voodoo dropouts stayed firm after the paint was removed from under the sliders. Must clamp it down really tight.

…i think that for that reason, the newer voodoo wangas (and indeed that new ragley on the other thread) come with little screws inside the rear triangle to keep the slidey dropouts from moving forward under heavy pedalling/power thighs. Is that heavier or lighter than an EBB?

donks
    Free Member

Kinesis decade….i would post a pic of mine if I could get around to figuring out how to do it but if you go on the Kinesis site and look at the users bikes section…
    Rides really well on the singletrack and the likes of Cannock, not been anywhere else yet on it….read Benji's review on the home page for more info.

specializedneeds

Couple of question re the Virsa:
    How does the rear brake adjust when you slide the wheel?
    What is the BB to top tube measurement, along the seat tube, for the 18"?
    It gives a "C/C" size on the website, is that dimension I'm after?

donks
    Free Member

Rear brake required no particular fettling although apparently it works best for certain brake sets…. i run an XT which was fine. The website does have some info but it's on the cross frame and not the virsa? The seat tube measurement if not on the web site I would have to pop to the garage with the measure but I am 6 foot (long arms and legs) and the 18" is perfect.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed frames.’ is closed to new replies.