Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Singlespeed, disc, road/cx wheels…
  • oxym0r0n

To replace the heavy ones on my Day 1

Ideally screw-on freewheel as already have a WI

Would love something built on WI or Paul’s hubs but too spendy for me ~ looking at max £250 to take 25mm road tyres or cx tyres, no braking surface.

Any ideas please?

Oh, have Hopes on my other 2 bikes so something with cartridge bearings – or do I just get my current hubs built using lighter spokes and rims?

takisawa2

IMAG0334 by pten2106, on Flickr

tinribz
    Free Member

Good luck finding 135mm SS disk hubs never mind wheelsets. If you do I’ll take your old wheels off your hands to help pay for the upgrade.

TheGingerOne

I’d probably go for H Plus Son Archetype rims. 23mm width and black brake surface even though you don’t need a braking surface. Cheaper than Stans Iron Cross

JRA Link

And then hubs to fit your budget…

porter_jamie

Surly hub is angular contact cartridge with a threaded axle all the way through. They need adjusting loads. I converted one to 10mm thru using normal cartridge bearings (had to bore out the bearing diameters and make a crush tube) and it is still going strong in my friends slot drop inbred.

porter_jamie

Also the wi freewheel is a bitch to remove with a shimano type tool I had to bodge up something on the mill to do it

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Your best bet is doing a custom build. Plenty of ss disc hubs out there, plenty of nice rims – get going! 😀

oxym0r0n

Def looking like a custom build – thanks for suggestions – I’ll keep looking!

riddoch

I’m also having a rim dilemma so would be interested in suggestions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed, disc, road/cx wheels…’ is closed to new replies.