Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Singlespeed cranks
  • soulstealer
    Free Member

Ok so I’m guessing this topic has been raised on here before but what cranks are you singlespeeders running?

I’m running Profile BMX cranks and apart from being a little weighty I can’t see any reason to run anything else. They’re strong, stiff, easy to set up perfect chainline and there are loads of tasty looking bmx rings available in all sizes which are compatible with half link chains.

I’m intrigued to know why I don’t see more folks running them, is it just weight? as BMX parts generally are much lighter than they used to be.

Come on lets see what you all think?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I run Middleburns…

Spotty dog IMHO.

I’m no weight weenie, so I’m not interested in how light kit is, I just like it to work.

And these do.

Flashy
    Free Member

Middleburns for me too………

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeyboyjc

I was running Truvative Noir’s….

Clobber
    Free Member

Middleburns and WI ENO’s for me

soulstealer
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a lot of folks running square taper why? I always thought splined was stronger and with the forces involved in singlespeeding surely splined is the way to go?

Haze

Currently have RF Evolve DH cranks with SS ring, fancy some of those polished Middleburns though…

messiah
    Free Member

XTR because I’m worth it*
    *very old and tired M960 XTR which needs to be done up really tightly as the splines are a bit worn.

Tasso
    Free Member

Middleburns on square tapers. The main SS bike is used throughout the winter mud fest and old tech taper BB’s just last longer than any of the wide axled spline options.

Also running a HT2 on another newer SS but that’s just because I had the parts in the spares box. You would be hard pushed to tell any difference between the two setups ridden back to back.

Use whatever you feel like. There’s no wrong type after all.

ononeorange

Middleburns on Square Taper here too.

My only encounter with ST – given the amount of abuse and crud that the s/s gets, I was amazed that the (second hand, cheap Shimano) BB only developed a clonk after 6 years. Replaced for a few quid and off we go again. Converted.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

i run polished xt cranks on my MTB SS and profiles on my fixie with ti axle and spline drive sprocket. They don’t actually weight too much like that and are pretty stiff

_tom_
    Free Member

I just use the same ones as I do for gears but if I was building up a new ss-specific bike I’d probably have some profiles as well.

one_bad_mofo

I’m running Truvativ Isis SS cranks. The reasons? I can run a 1/8in chain over a 3/32in ring and the arms are 180mm long. It was also just about the only choice way back when, when I bought them.

jameso

I used Profiles on a MTB a long time ago, very stiff and durable but they always felt wonky, had 2 sets and both had slight wobbles at the pedals as they rotated or not quite 180 degrees between the cranks, seems difficult to get a set that were welded 100% straight. I stuck with them as at the time there wasn’t anything else that was particularly strong, just square taper or XTRs (wrecked the tapers or splines in them). Since OS axle MTB cranks came along I’ve not seen the need for anything else, plenty stiff and durable enough. 985 XTR or older XTs on my SSs now.

simon1975

XT M737, Shimano M600, Stronglight Messenger & White Industries on my bikes. All on square taper UN54/55 for longevity. Didn’t get on with Middleburns as kept breaking the spiders.

Clobber
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with Middleburns as kept breaking the spiders

Use the uno ring as pictured above then

lipseal
    Free Member

Old set of SLX here and a Hope BB. 🙂

Forgot, I’ve got a used set of XT cranks waiting in the wings. 8)

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Saint cranks and a 34T ring with external BB on one bike and my favourite Shimano 300lx cranks with a 36T ring and Shimano Un55 BB.

The latter has a more reliable and cheaper BB. Go for lighter cranks if weight is the issue. Old cheap lowish end shimano cranks last a very long time though. Like those middleburn, I wish my budget strethed that far.

charliedontsurf

White industries are super lovely and my choice.

But there is not wrong with a good shimano, skinny steel bolts and a salsa ring

stevie750

Deore cranks with XTR BB and a renthal chainring

Cheezpleez

Middleburn UNO with a Shimano UN52. Nearly four years use and still going strong…

robkhoo
    Free Member

Used a load over the years – 180mm XT octalink (nicked), Truvativ Stylo SS (self extracting bolt bit stripped), cut down XTR 960 (left hand crank cracked by pinch bolts), and currently old Bonty Race Lites. Can’t say I noticed a massive difference between any of them… wouldn’t mind ressurecting the XTRs at some point if I can find a matching l/h crank though. Only use Hope BBs these days though, used to get through Truvativs in a few weeks and Shimanos weren’t much better.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Slx. See no reason to use anything else

BigJohn

Sq taper XT crank with Surly ring.

I think we use sq taper because Middleburn only did Sq T and Isis.

bentudder

Deore cranks with the trekking rings (26/36/48) taken off. 26 and 36 moved to my geared FS as a 2×9, 48t sold on for a tenner. Adds up to new rings for the FS bike and a new set of cranks and BB for the singlespeed for about 40 notes. Tiny weight increase over the XTs on my full suss bike, too. At the moment, I can’t imagine replacing those old XTs with anything other than a pair of Deores. I’d rather spend the money on something more important, like new forks.

I’ve run truvativs in the past, and didn’t get on with the fastening system. Square taper is great – in 20 odd years, I’ve neer had a problem I didn’t cause myself. I have to say that after trying a bunch of other options, Shimano still kicks bottom in terms of reliability and price.

cp

Xt octalink with a deore 32t ring, basically what I had lying around. Works a treat with a 1/8 chain.

My ss tends to consist of hand me downs from the other bikes.

fandango
    Free Member

A previously loved Deore set with HTII BB. Seems to work”…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I broke everything so I did the rational thing…

3 piece Gusset EXO cranks on Euro BB bolted on to Gusset chainring and Deity Dirtjump pedals.

On an Inbred.

Why not indeed.

Brainflex

Square taper XTR (spare parts bin)UN72 BB which died after 8 years use. Switched to a UN54. Will see how long that lasts

Andy

All Square taper for me. WI ENO on one for bling, Middleburn on another and a 30 year old Shimano 600 Arabesque (£12 off ebay) on the other. 😀
    UN72 and UN54’s last for ever 😀

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Old XT hollowtech 2 on the mountain bike. Was previously running even older xt octalink, which was a tiny bit less stiff, but the BBs lasted much longer.
    Road/commute/cross bike has bullet proof square taper Campag Veloche on a Miche BB. It’s all about the ISO taper.. JIS is so last century!

rOcKeTdOg
    clubber
    Free Member

Race Face turbines with an XTR carbon/Ti chainring on UN54 ST here.

Andy

Nice shade of blue that inbred…

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a lovely blue. I call it “purple” 😉

amedias
    Free Member

Square taper shimano BBs for SS for me, nothing else lasts as well.

Normally mated to either a pair of middleburns or old race face turbines.

If money is tight then old square taper shimano cranks from STX RC upwards a a very cheap and reliable bet.

slinkybike
    Free Member

Because I already had them, I fitted a spider less chainring from homebrewed components to some XO cranks. They look nice and are super light I will get a photo up in the daylight. Not a cheap option or one that would last long in a english winter though.

ononeorange

“Not a cheap option or one that would last long in a english winter though.”

Or summer.

slinkybike
    Free Member

I don’t have to ride in English winters or what you guys call a Summer though.

Andy

clubber – Member

It’s a lovely blue. I call it “purple”

Really? Oh thats a shame, blue bikes look so much nicer? No? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed cranks’ is closed to new replies.