Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Singlespeed conversion Q's
  • Tupper

Hi

I thought I would change my GT Zaskar 27 speed to a singlespeed. From what I can tell I can put a conversion kit on the back but what about the front? Just take the inner and outer ring off? Or do I need a new crank set? Also, is it a specific chain?
    Probably stupid questions but don't want to miss a trick

Cheers all
    Tupper

scaredypants

(I am not a proper singlespeeder)

For trying it out (if you get properly into it you'll end up with a ss frame etc anyway), you can use just the existing middle ring as you suggest

I'd leave the outer ring on to stop chain jumping off (and maybe keep your front mech fitted but "locked" to stop chain jumping off to the left) and wouldn't bother taking off the inner one ("proper" unramped rings jump much less but you don't have to use them)

You'll prob need a tensioner unless you're really lucky with your frame (might need a half-link from somewhere too)

Existing chain will be fine once shortened

Get a wide-based ss cog or you'll find it will chew its way into your freehub (depends a bit on what freehub of course)

Tupper

Great feedback SP! What is a half link?

luked2
    Free Member

I'd be surprised if you had a problem with the chain jumping off, so you ought to be able to remove the outer and inner chainrings, and the front derailleur. But I guess it depends on just how bumpy your rides get.

If you have a steel freehub then I don't think the sprockets will damage it. Aluminium might be different though.

meehaja
    Free Member

half link is litterally that, its a hlaf chain link that allows you shorten your chain by "just that little bit that I need" I've never used one personally as I hae an adjustable tension device and run the chain a bit longer so i can change between 18 and 16 rings at the back. For a cheap chain tensioner, just use your re-mech, puting the shiftet end of the gear cable though backwards and setting tension and position from there!

(google charlie the bike monger for all your SS needs, everything is really well explained there!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed conversion Q's’ is closed to new replies.