Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Singlespeed conversion Q help please
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

I have a dartmoor shine as my play bike and it has horizontal dropouts..

I have a 32 and a 36t front chain ring. How do i SS it?
    I have a handful of cassette spacers from messing around withe the cassette chainline. Ideally i just wanted to use my Hope Evo2 with stans flow rear wheel. Do i just need to shorten the chain, drop some coggs off the rear cassette and space it out?
    Any Pointers please

mark_b
    Free Member

Do i just need to shorten the chain, drop some coggs off the rear cassette and space it out?

Pretty much.

You might consider something like this instead of breaking up a cassette.

thepodge
    Free Member

Nice bike, I always fancied one of them.

as long as you can get the right rear cog off the cassette then yes, its pretty much as simple as that

wwaswas

I’d get a proper single speed rear cog like an on-one groove armada – with a wide footprint so it doesn’t dig into your soft alloy freehub. I’d also consider a non ramped chainring and if you fit it a new chain too.

Otherwise, yes you just need to add spacers either side of the rear cog to get the chainline right, get the chain about the right length and then use the slidey dropouts to tension it. Not sure if there’;s a chain tug there at the moment but get one if not or the axle will move all the time.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks..
    What T cog for the back / front? (have a 32 and 36)
    Edit .. My 32 might already be non ramped

wwaswas

depends on where you ride and your legs.

I find 17 or 18 works on t he South Downs, I’d go 16 somewhere flatter.

[edit] use the 32 if you’re doing anything but dirt jumping…

danielgroves
    Free Member

People normally start with 2:1. So, an 16 would go well with the 32 or an 18 with the 36.

If your 32 is non-ramped I’d use that one.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks.. might inspire me to get into the muddy stuff a bit more with less to clog up and clean after

VanMan
    Free Member

Just wondering about chain growth for the rear suspension, might need a tensioner? Or does the BB move with the rear triangle in which case ignore me 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

someone on the One Cog group on FB did a FS SS set up – worth checking in there probably.

wwaswas

Yes, sorry unless the bb is concentric worth the lower pivot you’ll need a tensioner

I used a Rohloff dh tensioner when I did my fs bike.

thepodge
    Free Member

The bike pivots round the BB so no tensioner needed

The one on one cog used a chain tensioner like I do for my full suspension alfine

mattjg
    Free Member

you’ll likely still need a tensioner

tom200

Chain tension is key, I wouldn’t run a ramped front ring either. I run a works narrow wide, so i can run 1×10 or SS without much bother. Make sure you use a wide cog such as a halo one, else you will destroy your freehub.

jameso

Frame’s got a horizontal dropout and a BB pivot, so all you need to do is get a 2:1 or slightly higher ratio and make sure the chainring and cog line up well.
    To do that, measure from the seat tube front-centre to the front chainring tip, level with the tip – prob 50mm in the mid ring position of a triple. If so,
    Your 135mm rear end/axle width divided by 2 = 67.5mm, so 67.5mm from end of axles to the centre line of the bike. And you need to get the rear cog 50mm from the centreline to match the front –
    67.5mm less 17.5mm = 50mm. (Or if your front chainring is 55mm from the seat tube centreline, 67.5mm less 12.5mm = 55mm)
    So if after trying out some spacers the inside face of the dropout or end of the rear axle to the rear cog tip is 17.5mm ish (or 12.5mm), all’s good and it’s lined up.
    (with apologies for any egg-suckyness in that but if it’s all lined up and tensioned, even ramped rings and cogs can be ok until you figure out the right ratio, just take care getting it right)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks again for the advice.
    Looks pretty easy to do.. any beard recommendations or preferred gurning style?

OCB
    Free Member

I’m getting a bit FS curious for mucking about down the woods, and that frame looks like the kinda thing I had in mind … anyway:

For SS spacers, can I suggest the excellent VeloSolo set, as you get a good range of different sizes, so can fine tune the chainline to your hearts content.

From experience, a decent SS cog is a much better idea than a cannibalized cassette 🙄 .

Ratio – depends on where you ride, I run a pretty low gear on my dirt going ss’ers at 32:20.

Beard – I favor mine wild and out of control (which coincidentally, is how I ride too). 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

OCB
    Have a look at the Dartmoor shine, wish
    Blk mrkt killswitch
    DMR bolt
    NS soda

for similar frames

the velo set looks pretty neat and cheap

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed conversion Q help please’ is closed to new replies.