Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Singlespeed conversion- first go
  • Lummox

Hi have bought an on one conversion kit, looking to convert my commuter/occasional off roader to singlespeed for a change.

What front rings do people use? – one that avoids spinning like crazy but still makes hills achievable.

What (cheap) parts will i require / would you suggest, so far i have in my mind

Cranks + c’ring
    chain

Am i missing anything?

Liking the thought of tough singlespeed chain and front ring to make set up as maintanance free as possible.

Al

Anthony
    Free Member

Are you using it for your road commute or off-road?

Gear ratio’s will need to be quite different unless your commute is uphill all the way.

For offroad try 2:1 as a starting point. Get a steel chainring as they last a lot lot longer. Any chain will do but most prefer a bmx chain, the KMC 610HX at about a tenner are my personal favourite for strength. I prefer 3/32″ over 1/8″.

Any cranks can be used.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you can use the middle ring off your triple, or even if it was a road compact double on there, the inner can be used without it looking too gash. I’ll second that KMC 610HX chain – they’re so easy to join, and if you need it, Charlie the Bikemonger does half links in 3/32 as well as 1/8th inch, though you shouldn’t need it as you’ve got the conversion kit with the tensioner. There’s not much else to it really 32:16 will be fine for most off road stuff (but you’ll have to push up some of the hills). Bigger front ring (or if you can find one, a smaller cog) will be needed to stop you spinning out on the road.

Getting your chain line striaght is important, but you should have a load of spacers in the pack – you’ll need to use the lockring off your cassette to hold the spacers and cog on. Once you’ve got it in position, look down the length of the chain from the rear and try to get it as central as possible. You’ll be able to run the doofer pushing up or down on the chain, and I’m sure if you search on here, there’s plenty of posts on which is the best way to do that.

You’ll have fun – go for it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattsccm
    Free Member

I reckon a lot of people worry too much about gearing and go too low. I use either 42×18 or often 16 on my cross bike with bigger wheels that equal a higher gear as well(depending on how tall your 26″ ers are) .You will stand up a lot more than twiddle and everything feels more efficient. I ride mostly around the Forest of Dean which is lumpy. I can get up more hills on the crosser than on the geared mtb. Only very long super steep ones are too hard and I push the myb up anyway.

dobo
    Free Member

i’m currently using 32:16 or 32:17 for off road on mtb

i’m using 44:18 or 44:17 for on road using slicks on mtb

i often find 32:16 offroad harder than 44:17 onroad!

so fitness, tyres and terrain will have a big impact on gear choice

whatever gear you choose will always be a compromise, happy experimenting

Lummox

thanks for the replys guys, seems singlespeeding is a tinkerers dream, right up my street then!

Al

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed conversion- first go’ is closed to new replies.