Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Singlespeed chains for easy removal?
  • cinnamon_girl

I’m a fan of Sram chains where I can easily remove a power link to take off chain for degreasing duties.

On my singlespeed there is a KMC heavy duty chain that needs a chain tool. Faffage!

I don’t think Sram do a ss-specific chain but are there any makes that use a similar system?

Thanks.

Clobber
    Free Member

Are you sure? My KMC SS chain has removable link…

EDIT: like this…

EDIT EDIT: well this actually…

richardthird

Clarkes uses a handy slidey in/out circlip thingy.

warpcow
    Free Member

This kind?

I think the one I have on my commuter is actually Shimano (comes with their cheap Nexus chains)

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. I’m keen to have something that I can use without involving a chain tool and tears.

The ones that have been linked to still need a chain tool, yes?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nope, no special tool needed.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

SRAM do an SS chain called the PC1, except it’s garbage. Use an ornery old chain like an 850/870 etc. They’re much better made, and IMNSHO, stronger and last longer.

cinnamon_girl

OK, thanks. So do I need to look for a particular link, as per Sram? Chain looks grim, am quite ashamed of myself. 😳

Clobber
    Free Member

Buy a new KMC Z510 it will come with a link

edhornby

take off a SS chain for degreasing duties.

this isn’t something I’ve ever done tbh – wash the bike, WD40 to get the worst of the oily gunge off and then splurt fresh lube on – SS is designed to be low maintenance

Clobber is right about the Z510, strong and not expensive

cinnamon_girl

I had in fact bought a spare link and it’s now been found. Is there a specific and different link that should be removed, as per the Sram type? All the links look the same to me!

Edit: can’t wash the bike as it has no wheels plus the hose connector thingy has broken. Chain is seriously grungey!

edhornby

as long as it’s a SS/6/7/8 speed link then they all work fine, some are supposedly reuseable but I never have, life’s too short to risk an off as a result of a broken chain considering the price of a quicklink

Martin.B
    Free Member

I use a Z510, comes with a link
    Not difficult to undo, but there is a bit of a knack i find there if you double the chain back at the link it comes apart easier

sparkyrhino

I just use surplus sram 9sp chains I have lurking around.
    Speedlinktastic 😉

cinnamon_girl

Well, I decided it must just be easier to use my chain cleaner gizmo so needed to put wheels back on. Had a slow puncture on the back wheel so used another inner tube with a different (Winter) tyre, it’s now flat. 😐

I give up. 🙁

john_l
    Free Member

Just use a 9spd SRAM chain. Lighter, tighter & easy to use power link.

cinnamon_girl

Beginning to wonder if I’m a bit weird or something. I find chain cleaning, with SRAM that is, really satisfying. 8)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed chains for easy removal?’ is closed to new replies.