Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Singlespeed build….. Santa Cruz Highball or Niner SIR9?
  • duffyc
    Free Member

As the title says….I’m trying to decide between a Santacruz Highball or a Niner SIR9 as a singlespeed.

But…I’m in two minds.

Anyone got any experience on either as a single speed? Thoughts and views.

Alloy vs steel etc etc

Ta

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Stooge/Krampus

tang
    Free Member

The Niner is a great ride, can’t comment on the SC.

Clink

It depends. I love my Stooge – it’s just good at everything.

Another to consider is the Trek Superfly ss frameset, if you can get hold of
    one (technically available over here as frame/fork).

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly/superfly_ss/

bikeneil
    Free Member

I think the OP is trying to decide between a highball and a sir9. Not a stooge, krampus or trek… just saying.

Clink

I think the OP is trying to decide between a highball and a sir9. Not a stooge, krampus or trek… just saying.

Nah – that’s far too easy – OP needs more choice (more interesting for us then see 😀 )

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Niners are great products but SC c highball for that something special or different if you haven’t tried carbon already.

Why not that carbon niner ss in your size out of interest as that was peanuts and mint.

DrP

OOhhh, I want that Trek.
    And a Niner.
    And a Stooge (different bike, less racey, but nice).

I got an on one….

DrP

slowjo
    Free Member

I have had both. I haven’t run either as a SS.

As a general comment, the SC is way better.

Not sure if that helps.

bikeneil
    Free Member

As a general comment, the SC is way better

Why/how was it better?

NormalMan

Shouldn’t someone make sure the Solaris and Sherpa get thrown into the mix. 😉 Keeps all the usual suspects present.

WildHunter2009

Oh my that Trek is rather lovely.

noltae
    Free Member

Little point trying to rationalize your choice OP – I’ve always wanted the SIR9 myself despite being told it offered little to no tangible riding advantages over an inbred .. I’m sure that’s not 100% true but it’s worth being mindful of the rules of diminishing returns – 1k is a far bit for a steel hardtail but not necessarily so if it’s more of an object of desire ..

benji
    Free Member

Stif might have both set up to take for a test ride. If it was my money I personally would be buying the Santa Cruz, but that’s only because I already own a Niner, which admittedly rides lovely. The Santa Cruz does it with dropouts rather than eccentric bottom bracket like the Niner.

deejayen
    Free Member

The Trek looks really nice, although I have no idea how it will ride. I few places online are listing the frame and forks for £650.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Shouldn’t someone make sure the Solaris and Sherpa get thrown into the mix. Keeps all the usual suspects present.

Not great to run singlespeed without bodging.

NormalMan

@bikeneil
    I know, I was just being silly. Hence the wink.

I’d go with SC if being serious.

thepodge
    Free Member

This thread has a disappointing amount of pictures of nice SS bikes

Clobber
    Free Member

What no Swift????

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

This thread has a disappointing amount of pictures of nice SS bikes

Well post some in that case.

takisawa2

Have to laugh at this:-

offered little to no tangible riding advantages over an inbred

Frame is about 1.5 lb lighter for a start. 😮
    Its a lovely supple ride. Mate has a Highball but they are quite different…supple, skinny steel versus stiff alloy…
    Only had a quick go on the Highball but immediately felt very stiff.
    The Niner at full RRP is too pricey, practically into custom build territory. Mine was heavily reduced. Also, the new model is beefed up in some areas, so not sure if that affects the ride.

Mine. Running 27.5+/29+.
    Cant imagine ever selling it.
    If I were shopping for a steel 29er again I’m pretty sure I’d be riding home an El Mar.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wBkr7V]IMAG0134[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Lovin’ how appropriately used that RS sticker is.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Can i throw a shand into the mix? Handbuilt stunner available single speed and fully rigid….

coldlambcurry
    Free Member

I had a Highball alu s/s with a set of rdo niner forks. Great ride, not to stiff ether, foam grips & a comfy saddle ran 34-17 no faults just a nice fun super light ride. Now swapped frame for a niner one9 alu different ride but equally as much fun. I would say the highball climbed better, the chain stays are shorter if that makes a difference.

thebees
    Free Member

That Niner is one of the best looking bikes I’ve ever seen. Love the green with red bits ! It makes you wonder why most off-the-shelf bikes look so corporate and bland. Imagine spending thousands on bike that is all flat black. Barmy.
    Would love to see more photos.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If it’s any help…

I had a One9 Niner scandium for 2 1/2 years and it was SS specific. I put full carbon RDO kit on it and SRAM XO cranks with RDO forks and the thing flew. Has to have been one of the nicest SS bikes, like eva.

Light too.

So, so Niner vote from me.

honourablegeorge

I have that same Scandium niner One9 SS frame hanging in my shed, never built up. For sale if the OP fancied it. Size L

duffyc
    Free Member

Thanks for all responses, I already have a niner air9 carbon, which is a 2014 so unfortunately gear specific.

I can’t afford another carbon really…..so it has to be alloy….or steel.

I’ve heard great things about the SC….but I love the niner geometry….

Shame that honorablegeorges is not a medium….I’d have had it off you in the blink of an eye….but I’ve got short legs!

I’m still no further forward! 😕

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed build….. Santa Cruz Highball or Niner SIR9?’ is closed to new replies.