Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 199 total)
  • Singlespeed…
  • kayla1
    Free Member

I forgot how much hard work fun it was! 😀

That’s all. Carry on.

oldnpastit

I especially like the bit at the end where you put the bike in the shed after a cold muddy wet slithery winterautumn ride and get a nice hot cup of tea, and not worry about the precious dérailleur and gears and what not.

gil_

Me too, it’s ace 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kayla1
    Free Member

put the bike in the shed

Balls to that- the bikes are living in the house from now on since the last ones were nicked! I’ll still put it away manky though 😆 #lifestooshortforcleaning #nobodyremembershowtidyyourhousewas

d3carbon
    Free Member

I especially like the bit at the end where you put the bike in the shed after a cold muddy wet slithery winterautumn ride and get a nice hot cup of tea, and not worry about the precious dérailleur and gears and what not

I think a quick brush, rinse, and lube (while drinking an ice cold bottle of Stella) after a ride is a small price to pay for the privilege of an enjoyable ride with appropriate gear range.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Welcome back.

It never gets easier, you just ride with people who ask less stupid questions.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think a quick brush, rinse, and lube (while drinking an ice cold bottle of Stella) after a ride is a small price to pay for the privilege of an enjoyable ride with appropriate gear range.

Woahhh there!

1) be honest, you’d rather not have to do it every time you ride a bike. Especially not in the dark after a night ride when you’re already cold and wet?

And if you’re not cold and wet, neither is your bike so why are you washing it?

2) People actually drink Stella? I thought it just existed to be the butt of wife beating jokes? A bit like Skoda’s and the value of a tank of petrol in the 90’s?

d3carbon
    Free Member

1) be honest, you’d rather not have to do it every time you ride a bike. Especially not in the dark after a night ride when you’re already cold and wet?

And if you’re not cold and wet, neither is your bike so why are you washing it?

2) People actually drink Stella? I thought it just existed to be the butt of wife beating jokes? A bit like Skoda’s and the value of a tank of petrol in the 90’s?

Okay I’ll bite…

1) be honest, you’d rather have an appropriate cassette whilst slogging up steep hills.

2) Yeah I realise that Stella is not ‘niche’ enough for the SS crowd. 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I used to be able to walk my singlespeed up hills quicker than my mates could pedal up with these new silly big cassettes

kerley
    Free Member

be honest, you’d rather have an appropriate cassette whilst slogging up steep hills.

If that were the case then you would also have the appropriate cassette for down hill, fast runs with a tail wind etc,. in fact you wouldn’t be riding single speed – which is fine, it is not for everyone.

molgrips
    Free Member

and not worry about the precious dérailleur and gears and what not.

What?

I clean my bikes to get the grit out of the chain if it’s been gritty, or if there’s tons of mud plastered on it. SSs have chains too don’t they? Does mud not collect behind your BB?

The main thing that puts me off SSing is SSers saying stupid things. Oh and also never being in the right gear. I like going fast on flats, for example.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Every now and again I get the idea that it’s silly.So I put some gears on.This usually lasts about 3 rides before I’m bored and they come off again.
    It is silly though.

whitestone
    Free Member

The jokes were about Ladas not Skodas.

Spent a good hour cleaning the fat bike this afternoon after a ride on the moors. It wasn’t just the drivetrain that was caked 😳

I’ve not tried SS on a mountain bike yet, just getting used to it on the road. An excellent workout.

dazh

About to go exclusively ss again for the winter, roadie too. I find you still have to clean the chain, but just enjoy the challenge of getting up all the hills. There’s something highly satisfying about when you get the technique just right and find the right rhythm and just float (sort of) up climbs.

AlasdairMc

I bought a singlespeed commuter recently and love it. Fast on the entire route, and tough enough to make the trip a good workout.

I then converted one of my mountain bikes singlespeed so I’ve got a low 20s weight trail monster, and love it. Ridiculously fast climbing and skips around the trails due to weight.

jamesoz

It’s not silly, I leave mine in the van and don’t worry about it getting nicked or getting damaged by wayward tools/stock as it’s worthless, it doesn’t need a new expensive cassette after a few wet Swinley rides. I don’t care about the grinding noise after a horrible wet ride. It also means I use the road bike less which is a good thing.

tazzymtb

Its a bloody stupid idea, you only do it for attention and your knees will be shot. Bet you have a beard as well

epicyclo

oldnpastit – Member
    I especially like the bit at the end where you put the bike in the shed after a cold muddy wet slithery winterautumn ride and get a nice hot cup of tea, and not worry about the precious dérailleur and gears and what not.

That reminds me.

Maybe I should do some checks on my Pugsley which hasn’t had a spanner laid on it since before the last ‘Puffer.

Bloody singlespeeds and their regular demands for maintenance once every year…

jamesoz

No beard, sat here drinking Stella not craft beer either I’m afraid.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I clean my bikes to get the grit out of the chain if it’s been gritty, or if there’s tons of mud plastered on it. SSs have chains too don’t they? Does mud not collect behind your BB?

Putoline wax and 3/32″.

More mud washes off old mud.

The main thing that puts me off SSing is SSers saying stupid things. Oh and also never being in the right gear. I like going fast on flats, for example.

Pedal faster.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Yes it is. Fun, that is 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

Pedal faster.

I got up to 44kmh on the singlespeed on the flat, that’s with a 39:16 ratio so a cadence of 130.

flashes
    Free Member

OK, so next step, fixed gear…….

takisawa2

Only nutters & weirdos ride single speed.
    Especially ones made from exotic materials.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Like steel.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

It’s an acquired taste. I was out today in the mud and never once wished I had gears. I’m always still a bit apprehensive before I go out but love it once I get going.

The thing is, it’s the same energy spent to move the mass of bike up or along, just different muscles. Once you get used to using the upper body a bit more on the climbs it’s easy enough. Fast too, even with steel!

RobHilton
    Free Member

I like going fast on flats, for example.

I like being faster all-round.

And the feeling of being just moments away from a rectal prolapse on steep climbs.

gowerboy

So does it really hurt your knees? or is that a load of rubbish?

takisawa2

Does it heck.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It helps mine

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Never had a problem with knees. Push straight down not at an angle. Running is much worse for them from my experience!

TiRed

Fixed on road, SS off road. Fixed off road is just silly. Gears for racing. I found no that one’s knees held up just fine, but you don’t need FS because you stand up so much more.

el_boufador

Never had a problem with knees, used to have a problem with my back. But that was a general thing that SSing made worse. Pilates, deadlifts and squats sorted all that out.

On local trails, with short up/down I love SS. Not so keen on big mountain days e.g. in the lakes though!

kerley
    Free Member

Fixed off road is just silly.

Not if you don’t have particularly challenging terrain it isn’t. I love using pedal control / skidding and the overall challenge it brings to ride on what would be very simple single track on a mountain bike with gears.
    This is made even better when you don’t have brakes. It is much more enjoyable for me than riding the road sections.

As above though, I still wash my bike (keeping the chain clean especially as I hate gritty chain noise) as often as I would a geared bike but there is simply less to wear out or deal with going wrong/needing adjusting.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My knees were ruined long ago, SS seems to have cured that.

My hands might be starting to suffer from riding rigid bikes though 🙁

tazzymtb

Tinas, alt bars are your friend for hand issues and bigger rubber at lower pressure.

Although I am fitting a suspension fork to one of my single speeds, but is more of an experiment for the bike maker than a burning need to have a squishy frontage.

dazh

Never had a problem with knees, if anything they’re stronger. Main thing to watch if you’re not used to it is your back/core. When getting back into it I try not to put too much strain through my upper body until I know I’m strong enough, if that means getting off and walking then I do. Better that than straining a muscle. If you get the technique right though you shouldn’t have to put too much strain through your upper body.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I find after a long ride my shoulders and arms are as tired as my legs. Good.for upper body. Agree you need to watch out for back though as it’s easy to put too much strain on it.

Strange thing I notice is that when I ride with gears and spin up the hills, I struggle a bit as those muscles are a bit crap. I find myself picking a higher gear and standing up.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A belt drive works well for me on the winter commuter and bar ends really make a difference in the climbs just so I can get a different hand position.

molgrips
    Free Member

I pick a high gear on my rigid bike often. But I like having the option to spin when I need to get traction.

I also like being able to shift up when on the road and put the hammer down.

I could maybe get away with two gears, but one just isn’t enough IMO.

But then I’m 84kg and live in a place that’s mostly steep hills.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed…’ is closed to new replies.