Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Singlespeed 29er Wheelset needed, Which?
  • quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a Niner Singlespeed and would like to change wheels.
    It currently has a set of new specialized stout sl. Sell these on.
    I would like tubeless, qr, and light.
    Budget £200
    Anything different to Stans/hope?
    Is the hope trials/SS hub worth it?
    Thanks

soma_rich
    Free Member

Bontrager do a nice set mine have Mustang rims and re-badged DT hubs very light and take my careless riding 🙂

scottchy
    Free Member

If you are fairly capable with tools and bike maintenance, you could try building your own wheels, That way you can make them nice and light by using double butted spokes, use a SS specific hub and you can have choice of any rim you like.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

For £200 you’ll struggle to beat Hope/Stans or Superstar built wheels though. Building yourself is generally only cheaper at the higher end of the price spectrum.

breadcrumb

I’m more than happy with my Hope SS hub. Just stripped it fully for the first time after over a years abuse, one bearing was a little grumberly. I flushed the old grease out and put in some fresh stuff.

They come bolt up as standard but can be swapped to qr.

benji
    Free Member

Is the £200 for one wheel or two, because if you can get hope on stans rims for a £200 please share where from.

Personally I just use any shimano freehub wheel with a spacer kit.

bentudder

Same here, Benji. A singlespeed hub is great, and offers a bit better triangulation for the spokes, but you lose the flexibility of going back to gears, or moving them on to a geared bike.
    One other thing worth bearing in mind: get hubs that are future proof and adaptable. An example: I have a set of Hope Hoops with Crests on. Aside from a QR front (and I’ve got the adapters for that anyway) I’ve used every combination of 135 QR, 135×10, 142×12, 20mm and 15mm. They’ll transfer over to a bike with different axle standards, and have done already. I’ve been shopping for a second set of wheels, and it’s a bit shocking to see that quite a lot of hubs aren’t as future proof as Hope’s.

My recommendation: buy a set of Hope Hoops. I’ve tried (and failed) to spec a self build set of components for the same price in the past.

quintet100
    Free Member

Thanks chaps
    Hope hoops with ss hub.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed 29er Wheelset needed, Which?’ is closed to new replies.