Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Singlespeed 29er build questions
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Hello peeps,

I am a bit simple, and am also building my first bike from scratch.
    It's in the late stages but two obstacles are in the way:

1. Attaching rear wheel securely

I used a basic QR skewer to attach the rear wheel but as soon as I went for a 2 minute trial ride the wheel was skew-with in the frame and rubbing on the frame! So I pulled it back into place and tightened the skewer.
    It moved again.

So then I *really* tightened the QR skewer and the [swear word] QR clamp snapped off of the skewer and blooming hurt my finger.

Is this wheel more likely to move because singlespeed puts extra tension and pull through the rear wheel/hub? Or is it because I am an incompetent dork?

If SS puts extra stress on the rear bolt, what do you experts recommend as a rock solid approach to fixing the wheel in firmly?

2. Bolts for Hope Mini rear brake mount

I've got the right thickness (gauge?!) of bolts to attach the rear disc brake to the Inbred 29er frame, but they go too far through the brake and frame and would hit the disc itself – they're too long.

Where can I get these kinda bolts from, online?

(Sorry I don't have the dimensions to hand but am guessing that the preferred retailer you recommend will do all sorts of dimensions).

Thank you for any and all help.
    I appreciate that these are tiresome newbie Qs, but need the help 🙂

singlespeedstu

You'll need a chaintug to keep the wheel from moving and just cut the bolts down so they don't hit the disc.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Two more dumb questions:

1. Is a chain tug different to a chain tensioner?

2. Will a normal junior hacksaw cut a bolt down or do I need something gnarlier?

Thanks again.

singlespeedstu

Yes a chaintug stops the wheel moving forwards.

A chain tensioner pushes up/pulls down the chain.

A junior hacksaw will be fine.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks Explosion, you crazy-named wise person.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed 29er build questions’ is closed to new replies.