Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Singlespeed
  • ratherbeintobago

I've a few questions for the panel about singlespeeds:

Are they really more muck-resistant than geared setups (getting tired of chainsuck & shifting problems riding in Pennine muck)?
    How easy is getting the chainline sorted?
    What sort of ratio would be good (bearing in mind I don't want to kill my knees)?
    Is facial hair also a requirement for riding a bike with one gear?

Ta

Andy

monkeychild
    Free Member

Are they really more muck-resistant than geared setups (getting tired of chainsuck & shifting problems riding in Pennine muck)? Yup

How easy is getting the chainline sorted? What chainline adjustment?? On a ss specific frame it's reet

What sort of ratio would be good (bearing in mind I don't want to kill my knees)?
    Is facial hair also a requirement for riding a bike with one gear? 32:16 is how most roll. Facial hair is not a requirement

Simples 😀

MrSparkle

Yes
    Fairly
    2 to 1 (32:16 etc) or 32:18 depending on knees/terrain
    Whatever

DaveGr
    Free Member

Are they really more muck-resistant than geared setups (getting tired of chainsuck & shifting problems riding in Pennine muck)?

Yes

So long as you get different size spacers to go on the free hub it's easy.

personal choice – I run 32:18 rather than 32:16 as I prefer to have a higher cadence but now I'd run odd ratios to even chain wear out maybe 32:17.

No but I'm sure it helps.

donsimon
    Free Member

Dunno
    Fairly (but not sure it's such a big problem, equally ss specific chain wheels)
    32:16 to start with
    Clean shaven, chisel jawed, Nº1 haircut (dunno)

julianwilson
    Free Member

but now I'd run odd ratios to even chain wear out maybe 32:17.

❓ have i missed something in singlespeed school?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah proper muck resistant, haven't cleaned mine since I got in in May.

I run a 32:16, but live in Cheshire, but a 32:17 may be better in the Pennines.

Chain line is dead easy, especially if you run a SS specific hub.

I've got some smallish sidies and occasionally don't shave for 3 days.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Oops, meant chain ring / sprocket wear not chain wear.

ratherbeintobago

Thanks all.

Another stupid question:

Assuming I'd be using a frame with vertical dropouts & a fixed BB, what chain tensioner do people recommend?

Andy

qwerty
    Free Member

BLING = White Ind Eccentric Eric hub OR eccentric bb cup thingy

NORMAL = push / pull tensioner (on one/surley etc)

CHEAP O = old rear mech

GOD = magic ratio

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Magic ratio. A half-link increases the chances of finding one. I use a ghost ring when I need a tensioner.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i'd recommend gusset tensioner from charlie the bike monger. best one ime.

finbar
    Free Member

I bought the On-One tensioner because it was the cheapest and it works prefectly well.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, that's pretty much the only reason I have one.

If you're not silly enough to use a SS specific hub and just use a normal back wheel with sprocket/spacers then it's very easy.

Start off around 2:1 – 32/17 for me – find a gear that works on your geared bike and do that.

No, luckily as I look stupid if/when I grow a beard.

qwerty
    Free Member

you been singlepeeing long

ahwiles
    Free Member

Q) Are they really more muck-resistant than geared setups?
    A) yes

Q) How easy is getting the chainline sorted?
    A) don't know – it's never been a problem

Q) What sort of ratio would be good
    A) try 32:16 to see how hard it is – then a 32:18 if you'd like the climbs to be a bit easier.

Q) Is facial hair also a requirement for riding a bike with one gear?
    A) optional – i wouldn't say i've got a beard, but i do have face-fuzz

(if you ease youself into it (32:18) and build up slowly, and allow yourself to walk the really steep bits, it really won't damage your knees)

Doesn't the muck resistability depend on whether you've got a tensioner or not ?
    Having used a Rohloff on a full sus and various hardtails, I'd go for an EBB or sliding dropouts every time for simplicity and reliability.

clubber
    Free Member

Can't say that I've ever noticed any difference with or without a tensioner other than less noise and easier wheel removal on a SS specific frame.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Just returned to SS'ing, doubt I'll be returning to gears any time soon.

clubber
    Free Member

Things that tough in the biz then KT? Next you'll be telling me you've sold the tw@-wagon 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I've been thinking about going one stage further and doing away with the chain altogether.

epicyclo

ratherbeintobago – Member
    I've a few questions for the panel about singlespeeds:
    …Is facial hair also a requirement for riding a bike with one gear?

It is preferable if the single speed girls don't have facial hair. 🙂

Militant_biker

Assuming I'd be using a frame with vertical dropouts & a fixed BB, what chain tensioner do people recommend?

I used to use the DMR STS, simply because it was unsprung. I had tried the old Surly design, but I couldn't get the spring tight enough to hold the chain on through the rough stuff. Sure, with the bolt in one, you have to adjust the tension every once in a while, but you'd do that if you take the wheel out anyway.

The DMR one, however, won't take a 1/8" chain – but a quick session with a hacksaw and a file opened the groove out enough to do it.

Then I bought a proper SS frame and it is lush!

69er
    Free Member

a) very easy
    b) Depends where you live, start 2:1 26er or 2:1 plus 2 teeth 29er
    c) Yes or no depending on wether you want facial hair

shortcut

All easy.

Don't bother hunting for a magic ratio, get a chain tensioner.

Much better for mud (chain stays well away from the back wheel which helps a lot).

34×18 for me on the 26er and 32×18 on the 29er. I can get up most stuff but if I can't I get off and walk.

Facial hair – you should definately grow a handlebar moustache and a weird goatie in combination – then shave your head! 😆

will
    Free Member

Ratio really does depend where you ride I think.

As your riding inthe Pennines I'd also suggest a 32:16. You spin out at around 17mph… which is annoying, but you can still climb easy enough with that ratio.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I returned to SS'ing about 18months ago.

I used a 32:18 to start with as my fitness was rubbish – Last spring and summer was full of pain! Now on 32:16 which is about right on Mendip.

17mph is a bit fast for spinning out on 32:16. I reckon its closer to 14-15mph, but whats a couple of mph between forum posters eh?

😉

will
    Free Member

😆 Have to admit that was a guess. Trying to keep peddling at 20+mph is funny, and actually just about do-able…

DezB
    Free Member

the On-One tensioners are cheap on Ebay £8!

Don't get one of these –

They are crap (IME)

Woody
    Free Member

Isn't it about time there was a s/s faq?

No disrespect to the OP but this crops up every week (at least) and as people seem incapable of using the search function, either a faq or link to Sheldon would cover all the areas.

ratherbeintobago

Isn't it about time there was a s/s faq?

That would seem eminently sensible.

I have some webhosting so could host a page on it if that would be helpful.

Andy

clubber
    Free Member
    Woody
    Free Member

RBIT

No real need Andy – it's all HERE – Sheldon Brown Singlespeed

If you weren't on the other side of the Pennines I'd offer to help you sort it out as I have numerous spares to get chainline, gearing etc. spot on, built up over years of trying out different options.

Edit – forgot about that one Clubber 💡

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Would you say it took you about 6 months to fully adapt to SS?

clubber
    Free Member

No – about one minute 😉

DezB
    Free Member

fully adapt to SS

Fully adapt to just pedalling, steering and braking?

clubber
    Free Member

It's more the SS attitude that takes the time to pick up – you know – the casual 'I'm better than you because I don't use gears' one 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It's more the SS attitude that takes the time to pick up – you know – the casual 'I'm better than you because I don't use gears' one

And when you do the moment is generally celebrated with the application of a 'one f****** speed' or 'gears are for queers' sticker on your chain stay.

clubber
    Free Member

Indeed. Lame.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Not to mention the grand sticker of all 'Gears are for F****** C*** W******'.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.