Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SingleFenceWorld… height regs, I'm confused!
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

So I think the regs around fence height stipulate that it can be up to 2m from ground level, based on the original ground level before any groundwork.

Our garden is quite uneven and on a peculiar slope so we’ve been thinking about landscaping and levelling. If I do this then the ground could well be raised 5ft at some points on the boundary, and lowered by a couple of feet at other points. Would this mean that my maximum allowable fence height would be 1ft at some point and 8ft at others? (Basically following the existing slope.) Also based on that original ground level if I build a fence a few feet back from the boundary then it would be a several metres higher up than a boundary fence!

And what about new developments where there is considerable groundwork? Do fences need to be based on the original ground level? Or is it all dealt with as part of the planning application?

thepurist

Significant level changes at new developments would be part of the planning, so fencing etc would be part of that consent.

How would your fence affect your neighbours – if you’ve spoken to them and it’s not going to cause any issues then JFDI. If you’re building up 5′ outside their sunny kitchen window then sticking a 2m fence above that, they might get a bit shirty and call in the planners. Remember this is advice from an unqualified numpty on the web – for advice from qualified numpties on the internet check out http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks for the link, looks like what I need to be reading, shall check that out.

No neighbours yet, was a bit of woodland but now currently cleared land that will be developed on in due course. Talking to the guy who now owns the land but he’s got bigger issues to deal with than our fence!

dknwhy

I understand it that it’s the increased height that needs to be planned for as theoretically, what’s there is already there.
    Not sure if this helps but where I work (council), we install all our fences at 1.8m and don’t bother contacting the planning dept.

br
    Free Member

No neighbours yet, was a bit of woodland but now currently cleared land that will be developed on in due course.

Then get it up, asap.

tinybits
    Free Member

^^^ +1!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah, bit late unfortunately. Wish I’d done it 6 months ago before the land got sold.

footflaps

I’d just stick it up, worst case is somewhere down the line you are asked to lower it and just trim a bit of the top. Highly unlikely that will ever happen as whoever moves onto that land will just accept the fences as they are.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Have you got the landowner onside, will he consider landscaping too, or will the eventual neighbour have a retaining wall with a fence on top to look at?

nealglover
    Free Member

The “before any groundwork” phrase is just so you can’t get round the 2metre rule by building a 1metre mount and putting a 2m fence on top of it.

A fence that’s under 2metres and follows the lie (after you have levelled it) isn’t going to cause any issues.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d extend your garden 30m into the woodland and then put a normal fence up.

Remember to look innocent when the developers turn up

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SingleFenceWorld… height regs, I'm confused!’ is closed to new replies.