Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SingleCameraWorld – Lens Advice
  • number18
    Free Member

I’m looking for a prime lens for a Canon 500D, a short ish focal length and wide aperture.

I’ve got 17-85mm USM which is great in most scenarios but lacks a bit indoors in low light.

I’ve got 50mm 1.8f which is amazing in low light but a bit too long, can’t fit everything I want in the frame.

Anything up to about 24mm I reckon, no more than about 2.4f and on a budget = happy to consider Sigma or Tamron.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Sigma 24mm Macro (it isn’t really – but does focus nice and close).

Quite a nice lens, soft at the edges I grant you, but that isn’t an issue on crop!

number18
    Free Member

Cheers capt, is that compatible with a 500d or just full frame?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toys19
    Free Member

I reckon you need a 35mm, they normally capture what the eye sees, if you go any smaller its getting into wide angle.
    This canon lens is well reccomended by Ken Rockwell
    http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/35mm-f2.htm

Or take you pick from any of his reviews
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/index.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/index.htm

ianfitz
    Free Member

Sigma 30mm? For cannon efs

Cougar

Cheers capt, is that compatible with a 500d or just full frame?

If it works with full-frame it’ll work with APS-C. It’s the other way round where you might have issues, EF-S lenses won’t work on a full-frame body.

geetee1972
    Free Member

On the other hand full frame lenses tend to be expensive so unless you plan to upgrade to a full frame camera, you’re better off buying a cropped frame lens.

Note that the focal length of a lens doesn’t change regardless of the camera you put it on. The effect you see is cropping, not a change in focal length. On an APS-C frame camera, the image you end up with from something around 35mm would be closest to a 50mm lens on a full frame digi or, dare I say, the original full frame camera shooting 35mm film. This is closest to your own field of vision.

Keen photographers tend to fall either into 35mm or 50mm camps when it comes to prime lens choice for street or general photography. I use 35mm but I’m a rank amateur and I tend to rely on the high pixel count to then facilitate cropping, down to what you would otherwise get with a 50mm focal length. Probably I should be in the 50mm camp but the camera I have/wanted is 35mm fixed only.

For an APS-C camera, I’d suggest looking at something around 25-35mm in focal length.

zokes
    Free Member

I reckon you need a 35mm, they normally capture what the eye sees, if you go any smaller its getting into wide angle.

That’s correct on a full-frame sensor (as it was with film), but on APS-C sensors such as the 500D, you’d want a 24 mm (24 mm x 1.6 = 38.4 mm effective focal length)

Also, I’d tend to do the exact opposite of whatever Ken Rockwell recommends

molgrips
    Free Member

Keen photographers tend to fall either into 35mm or 50mm camps when it comes to prime lens choice for street or general photography.

Well, I once went out to take pictures along a bike ride in London with a 25mm lens on my Olymus (so 50mm equivalent) and it was terrible. Too short to pick anything out and too long to get any vistas in. When in a street you can’t move any further away than the other side of the street…

DrT
    Free Member

I bought the better half a canon 24mm f2.8 pancake for christmas as a lightweight walkabout lens. Image quality pretty much as good as the 24mm end of our 24-70 f2.8 and a tiny fraction of the weight and cost. would recommend it. Its been great for indoor family shots over christmas and I can see me ‘borrowing’ it a lot for street photography.

geetee1972
    Free Member

[/quote]That’s correct on a full-frame sensor (as it was with film), but on APS-C sensors such as the 500D, you’d want a 24 mm (24 mm x 1.6 = 38.4 mm effective focal length)

50mm is usually accepted as closest to the equivalent field of vision to the human eye, not 35mm, so 35mm on APS-C would give you a crop factor that results in the 50mm field of view.

Well, I once went out to take pictures along a bike ride in London with a 25mm lens on my Olymus (so 50mm equivalent) and it was terrible.

Sounds like you fall into the 35mm group then Molgrips 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

They do a 17mm pancake but only in micro 43…

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I bought a EF 24mm f/1.4L II from Ebay for my 550D and it was incredible the quality of shots it allowed indoors, but i ended up reselling to get a EF 24-105mm f/4L IS as I figured the versatility of having some zoom was worth dropping down to a smaller aperture… As pointed out already, the full-frame lens on a 2/3 body does make you feel a little close to the action, so I often find myself having to back away from the action to get everything in frame…
    Santa got me a EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 which is designed for the cropped body, so it’ll be fun experimenting with such wide angles 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

50mm is usually accepted as closest to the equivalent field of vision to the human eye, not 35mm, so 35mm on APS-C would give you a crop factor that results in the 50mm field of view.

That’s a myth, or at best open to argument, a lenghty and complicated one. Anything between 35 and 50 equivilent is normal. Whatever you prefer.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Agreed – hence the use of the word ‘usually’ and ‘closest’ and the reference above to 35mm and 50mm shooting. 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

A concensus on a camera thread? Must be a Christmas miracle. 😯 😀

The old sigma 1.8s a worth a look. I’ve just got a 28mm f1.8 and it’s really quite impressive.

butcher

I have a 28mm f2.8 alongside my 50mm f1.8 and it’s a more versatile walkabout lens, I find. In some ways you could call it dull…as in very normal, but that’s kinda the point, you can photograph pretty much everything with it. It’s very capable too. I go through stages of absolutely loving it, to not not being all too inspired by it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SingleCameraWorld – Lens Advice’ is closed to new replies.