Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Single Storey rear extension planning advise please
  • jonno101
    Free Member

We want to apply for 42 day Prior notification for rear single storey extension. It will be 5m out from existing house, Eaves max 3m, and side walls Incl parapet 3.8m high. Sloping roof. We own a semi detached house so one side is within 2m boundry.
    I have read all the rules and seen other applications that are v. similar that are fine. But me & my architect are going round in circles. She thinks nothing can be above 3m incl. parapet & roof lights. Until I find hard proof then we can’t agree? PS its Ealing council.
    My neighbour has done this but lost all planning Docs & nothing online?
    Any help much appreciated. Jon

andylaightscat
    Free Member

height adjacent to the boundary with a pitched roof shouldn’t be more than 3.0m above the natural ground level at the lower level, that would include the parapet wall.
    Ditch the parapet wall and you’re ok.
    Prior approval applications aren’t required to be shown on Councils Planning records.
    HTH

twistedpencil

Yep parapet wall will cause issues with that, single pitched roof will be okay but 5m with tiles will mean the height may create issues with the window at first floor. So roof is in effect flat.

Remove the parapet and you’ll be okay for permitted development so long as your out of a conservation area.

jonno101
    Free Member

OK, thanks. I got it. God knows how my neighbour did this then? Side walls about 3.5m high?
    Maybe stuff planning, thats what most people seem to do around here 😛

andylaightscat
    Free Member

If I bothers you report to Planning Enforcement 🙂

newrobdob
    Free Member

The parapets are ugly and pointless. Can’t see why you’d want them anyway.

jekkyl

advice*

sorry 🙂

martinhutch

The parapets are ugly and pointless. Can’t see why you’d want them anyway.

This. I take it it’s a flat roof construction rather than tiled (too shallow).

jim25

That will be too flat a pitch for tiles. Will have to be felted or similar system and loose the parapet walls and you’ll be fine. I have just done the same at my place.

When was the neighbours built? Possibly under different planning rules?

jonno101
    Free Member

Thanks for all the ADVICE, yes will be low angle roof, so GRP or similar. Basically wanted to get more internal height? Something like this, ignore angelic children 🙂 Neighbours was 2012.

jonno101
    Free Member

twistedpencil

Your neighbours extension is a detached house and doesn’t appear to be on the boundary hence they can go higher with the parapet wall.

Presently you need to submit for permitted development or notification of a larger home extension and will have to have I complete by May 2019 iirc. After this the may revert back to a maximum of 3.0m for a semi detached rear extension.

I expect that the rule will remain in place after that date though as it’s already been extended.

I really don’t get why it wasn’t just incorporated into a planning application process. We have secured the permitted development process and are presently awaiting a verdict from planning for the side extension to go with it. A slow process but hopefully everything will be in order in a couple of weeks time…

Good luck, lose the parapet and your good to submit I reckon.

jonno101
    Free Member

Thanks twisted, after trawling so many 42 prior applications, found one that seemed to cause no probs. Clearly shows parapet wall at 3.4m. So Im guessing I can send this to architect (or maybe not as she now hates me!?)

https://pam.ealing.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OTPHHJJM09P00

cdaimers

I am a structural engineer and have been doing loads of these extensions recently. Suggest you fire it in to planning and you can always adjust it after discussions with the planners.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Single Storey rear extension planning advise please’ is closed to new replies.