Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Single Speeding- Should you try it if you are essentially unfit?
  • will
    Free Member

Do it. You will imo get fitter, and be very surprised at what you can get up etc…

Really helps with technique I find, makes you a climbing beast 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Seriously. DONT laugh (oh go on then)- I was considering using a 19T/32T first.

I ride 32:18 normally anyway 🙂

nickc

TBH I think the only thing that riding a SS will make you fitter for…is riding SS.

On steep hills this time of year you'll run out of traction at the back well before you run out of lungs (unless you're a complete biffer). The rest of the time (on the flat or down) you'll rarely be working that hard as you'll spin out.

Rule of thumb: If it's a middle ring climb (whatever gear you're in at the back) you'll be able to SS it.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have just started riding a SS. Initial gearing was 36/16 which was very hard but now moving it to 32/18 to make it a little easier. Bike has worked out pretty light which helps when I need to push or lift it over obstacles or carry it! Only had a few rides and even though I am at probaly my lowest ever fitness found it quite fun so why not give it a go!

will
    Free Member

Pfftt… 42/18

Gets you fit.

miketually
    Free Member

Seriously. DONT laugh (oh go on then)- I was considering using a 19T/32T first.

I ride 32:18 normally anyway

yes, but he means 19:32…

will
    Free Member

😆 Mike

hora
    Free Member

Which was round is it supposed to be Big ring:cog?

Ok then its 32:19. MT- very funny.

DaRC_L

I've now, partially due to unfortunate circumstance, got 2 s/s one road one MTB – as to getting fit I like the excuse to walk up hills on the MTB.
    I wouldn't say it's any better or worse at getting you fit than gears just different. It does, IMHO, improve my cadence because it forces you to use different rhythms – regular on the flat, slow power on the hills and fast spinning downhill.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Single Speeding- Should you try it if you are essentially unfit?’ is closed to new replies.