Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Single speeding – Getting moar betterer – Tips
  • letmetalktomark

I’ve said before, on here, I am the worlds worst SS rider. That said I do enjoy it.

I have to admit to being a bit green with envy seeing SS riders at MM and most recently seeing a chap in the Peaks on Swift out ride (up hill) a bunch of us with dangly geary bits 👿 😆

I’ve tried concentrating on maintaining cadence.
    Riding fixed – which helped with the above.
    Drinking more beer – helped a little.
    Drinking less beer – didn’t help.
    Gearing up.
    Gearing down.

I’ve got a SS to set up for winter use and I’m about to SS my Puffin.

It’s very flat around here 😥

So to help me improve what are your tips, tricks etc

asbrooks

If it’s flat push a bigger gear!

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I was once told single speeds actually have three speeds: 1. sitting down 2. standing up 3. walking.

If you can do all of those you’ve pretty much got it dialled!

ianbradbury

Ride more

kerley
    Free Member

Get rid of all your geared bikes and you will get better at single speed (you will have no choice/it will develop naturally)

I have ridden solely single speed (fixed and SS) for 13 years and put any strength going uphill down to that.

bigblackshed

In no particular order: Cheese, stickers, gurning.

And MTFU and pedal.

Yak

Not really sure that a singlespeed is great in a flat place. They are best in hilly terrain where you can pick a gear that climbs well – nice out-of-the saddle cadence stuff. On the flat, you’ll need a massive gear- useless anywhere else.

But if you want to stick at it anyway, then do just that – persevere and your singlespeed legs will come. I always think the moment I’ve ridden my singlespeed legs in is quite pronounced – suddenly the bike feels much lighter and you are happy out of the saddle for the entire climb.

tom200

You need the beard the **** up.

postierich
    Free Member

BE MORE SCOTTISH!!!

letmetalktomark

So, moar cheese, moar stickers, longer beard.

Cheers Elves.

epicyclo

asbrooks – Member
    If it’s flat push a bigger gear!

I’d suggest the opposite in this case.

Run a relatively easy gear and practise spinning out.

You’ll be surprised how much stronger you feel on a higher gear after a few weeks of this.

SS is more about technique than strength.

cardo

I was once told single speeds actually have three speeds: 1. sitting down 2. standing up 3. walking.

If you can do all of those you’ve pretty much got it dialled!

For me its this in a nutshell ^^^

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

‘BE MORE SCOTTISH’

Don’t think consuming copious amounts of battered pizza/Mars bar, gallons of tenants super and the latest haul from the local shortbread mine lends itself to been fit enough for single speeding. Plus with the added weight of a massive chip on one of your shoulders will probably make riding hard anyway.

😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Single speeding – Getting moar betterer – Tips’ is closed to new replies.