Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Single Speed wheels
  • Big-M
    Free Member

I’m looking at single speed 29’er rear wheels, for single speed specific frame.

Do I look for a SS specific hub or just get a standard hub and spacers? Does anyone have any experience running a Hope trials hub..?

cheers,

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have a hope trails hub and have used them for years, Marginally stronger wheel build than standard hub due to wider spacing of spokes.

Would I notice anything over a standard hope pro 2 hub? probs not.

If you have horizontal dropouts the Allen Bolt Axles are a major bonus.

Graham_Clark

Hope here too, and it is typical Barnoldswick no-nonsense stuff

D0NK

as SS shep says slot drop out get something with bolt axles, if vert then whatever. If you are sure you won’t need to borrow the wheel for another geared bike then ss specific is prob a little stronger and may be a smidge lighter.

for VFM: hope hoops with a wide based cog and spacers
    SS specific money no object: DT or AC ss, I think stans do one aswell.
    hard wearing: white industries freewheel with a screw on hub WI, surly etc

Big-M
    Free Member

cheers guys, it’ll be SS specific, on a Genisis Fortitude. I suppose it comes down to whether I want to swap free wheels or cogs on a cassette body if I decide to ride somewhere more hilly as it’s fairly flat here.

Kind of like the idea of being able to just swap a cog on a cassette body. Might be cheaper than having a few White Industries / Halo freewheels hanging about.

I do like the idea of a Hope trials hub, having owned Hope hubs before they pretty well built & rebuildable.
    Not sure about the quality of SS specific screw on hubs like Surly etc..

bigblackshed

Hope SS hub here.

I would say slightly stronger wheel build compared to the Pro2. Easily swappable to QR if you want to, just change the end caps. In my mind the bolt in of the SS hub is marginally stiffer in the rear end. Oh err missus. 😉

Nice big noisy click from the freewheel too. Although it did get tiresome at BPW the other week. When you get a few riders together it can sound like a chainsaw party.

*I’m a Hope Fanboy BTW.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed wheels’ is closed to new replies.