I’m “upgrading” a 2nd hand 26er inbred singlespeed and have a few questions.
The bike will get used weekly and treated like ****, ie: brought home, not cleaned, have oil squirted on it. I don’t want to spend a fortune and want something fairly bombproof. The chain has been coming off a few times since I got it and now looks twisted.
1. SS chains come in 1/8in or 3/32in – which do I need and does the chain ring and freewheel have to match?
2. In terms of chain line, if I’m using an On one SS rear hub and some old truvativ cranks (triple), what do I need to do to ensure a good chain line?
3. Freewheel…shimano DX seem to be the model most places stock. Are these any good and what else should I consider?
4. Chain suggestions?
5. It’s got a QR rear hub…is it worth getting a couple of on one chaintugs to keep it in place?
6. bash guard to help keep the chain on?
7. Lots of hills in ramsbottom. I’m reasonably fit so what gear ratio??
While I’m here. Inbred max fork travel is quoted as 120mm. I have some spare 130mm bombers, which I’d like to use. Anyone run similar and find it OK?