Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • single speed Shimano FreeWheel
  • MADB
    Free Member

Can I single speed my wheel if it has a Shimano FreeWheel 6-speed Hyperglide? Like this one?

and what parts do I need

cheers

Brian.

Stoner
    Free Member

im not sure youll find a direct replacement screw on freehub or ss freewheel for that 6spd.

if i were trying to bodge a singlespeed with that id use a push-up tensioner or bodged rear mech to maintain plenty of chain wrap around and force the chainline to line up with a selected sprocket. pick a sprocket thats bang on the chainline of your chosen chainring, and as a belt an braces maybe bodge some kinf of plastic disk that sits on the freewheel as a chainguide.

rob
    Free Member

Bmx freewheel will screw on but you would need to respace the axel and redish the wheel to get a good chainline

luked2
    Free Member

What rob said. Sheldon Brown’s site has a good explanation.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

If you’re just going to be casually riding around you might not need to bother respacing the axle or redishing the wheel.

And you might also find that by moving the chainring at the front from one side of the tabs to the other that you get near enough chainline not to need to bother.

As for parts – you need a single speed freewheel. Charlie the Bike Monger has a good selection, from the ACS (perfectly fine but makes a stupid noise after a while), the Shimano DX (better sealed, eventually wear out), and White Industries (gold standard, rebuildable, indestructible but pricey).

You can often find them (and similar) on ebay.

Or, just buy a cheap second hand wheel with a modern freehub on the classifieds 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘single speed Shimano FreeWheel’ is closed to new replies.