Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SIngle speed setup
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

I bought a Dmr simple tension seeker kit to convert my bike and was also sold a sram pc1 chain at the same shop. Because i couldnt get the chain length close enough using the supplied 16t cog i am now using a 9speed 14tooth from a cassette and a 9speed 36t front ring. The chain length is ok and everything works ok when riding, but the chain runs to tight in the tensioner as it is apparently designed for 9 speed chains not the fatter single speed chains. DO i need to swap the chain to a 9 speed?
    Any advice please?

_tom_
    Free Member

Easiest thing to do is cut or file out the roller so it fits the wider chain a bit better. Think I've read of a few people doing this.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Cheers Tom. I was thinking along them lines but wondered if a bigger problem may be compatability between 9speed cogs and the single speed chain but they seem to work together. So i may get the file out!
    How can i get more options of chain lengths as it seemed quite critical as the tensioner doesnt have much movement for taking out the slack?

_tom_
    Free Member

Half link like this might work (scroll down to KMC Half Link). Vertical dropouts are a bit of a pain in the arse for SS, I'm going to be going through the same problems soon as I'm *this* close to switching back to SS 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Use the other kind of tensioner, that pushes down on the chain. Or run the chain under the roller. My mate did this with no problems.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I found with vert dropouts that the wheel used to get pulled offline slightly. I think this was caused by the disc brake. Now got a scandal with sliding dropouts and a chain tug, much better.

IanW
    Free Member

You will need to file out the roller for that chain. Alternativly you could get a 3/32 chain which will fit in the groove and whilst your at it get a half link version which allows more variation in chain length.

If you are going to use sprockets taken from cassettes its best to tension the chain up, I found them a little more likely to jump.

I bought a nice half link chain from charlie the bikemonger, they do strech though.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Another stupid question!- A half link chain is all half links but can you fit 1 half link to a normal chain? 😳

nosemineb
    Free Member

I am tensioning upwards. The 36 front is brand new but was not bought for this bike i couldnt get the supplied 16t to tension up or down there just was too much slack in the chain.
    Thanks so far youre giving me plenty to think about.

IanW
    Free Member

Yep, and that will give you the adjustment you need.

half links and stuff

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah with a half link (one of which can be put into a normal chain without any problems) you should hopefully be able to get it tight enough to tension upwards which looks much nicer 🙂

nosemineb
    Free Member

Excellent guys. So i need a file and 1 half link then i can get the original 16t cog on [hopefully!] I think thats all for now then.
    Thanks 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SIngle speed setup’ is closed to new replies.