Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Single speed- road ratio
  • jiff
    Free Member

Advice please.
    Have just treated myself to a Specialized Langster which I will be using on the road, predominantly for 15 mile commute (some decent climbs included on the route ! ).
    The ratio is currently 48/17, fixed. I intend to change it over to a freewheel sprocket and would value advice on what teeth hub to buy. My fitness is okay and I’ve had a s/speed MTB previously, no real problems (other than getting used to the hills !! ).
    Do I stick with 17 or look at 18 ? How much of a difference would I notice on the road.
    Thanks all

thomthumb
    Free Member

48:18 is about right.

I run 46:19, which i like. spinning is better than grinding.

Bucko

My Kona Paddy Wagon is 42:16 (69.2 gear inches) and i’ve not really felt the need to change it over the last 800 miles for my 8 mile each way, only 300ft of climbing commute. If I was to change it I would opt to spin less on the flat and grind more on the climbs.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

I hope that helps in some way

jiff
    Free Member

Thanks both. Much appreciated.
    I agree with prospect of spinning being preferable – and definitely until I’ve got back into it !
    18tooth being ordered tonight.

brooess
    Free Member

My 48:18 has been a fine all-round gear. I did change for a while to 46:18 but it was way too spinny.

48:18 is not to hard to start from the lights, spins out c 20mph but if you grit your teeth and get on with it you can get up some pretty steep stuff. I don’t know where you ride but I could get up both sides of Crystal Palace on 48:18, although not without effort!

swanny853

50:20 here. 66.1 gear inches apparently. Enough to spin me up to about 20mph without burning out my knees. Could be a bit higher and I was running 50:19 but there’s a nasty drag up the north downs a mile into my commute and this is a bit easier on a set of legs still waking up!

butcher

I can’t remember what I’ve got on mine, but I do remember that I originally had around about what most people recommended, and I was stuck on the first hill I came to. I was walking a lot. And I’m relatively light and fit. I downsized a fair bit. It’s all relative depending on yourself, and terrain.

shindiggy
    Free Member

My rigid mountain bikes with slicks is currently running 36/16 and I wouldn’t run anything bigger because the hills are hard work. I spin out around 18mph,are you guys really spinning out at 20mph with those big gears?

kinda666
    Free Member

42/16 on my charge plug, fixed, 52/19 on my old Fixie, probably need something in the middle..

crispedwheel
    Free Member

On my p7, with small block 8s, I use 38/14 for cx and road to link those sections up. Absolutely fine, no problems getting up road stuff over a few thousand miles.

Picto
    Free Member

52×20 on my fixie. Covered some decent mileage over the years. Can be a little grippy when the road steepens but works well.

Sam

Somewhere around 70″ is good for most road riding, so 42/16, 45/17, 48/18

One tooth on the back is really pretty noticeable, as you’ve got the 48 I’d say try an 18t freewheel. Also, as it’s SS rather than fixed you can just let it coast on the downhill so a little smaller gear is not a bad thing.

huws
    Free Member

49×15 for me, mostly because the bike also gets used on track and I’m too lazy to change the gearing. The Mighty cols of South London are doable, just.

drofluf
    Free Member

How are you coping with the climb at the moment?

If you’re managing it I wouldn’t put anything bigger on at the back or you’ll just spin out on the flat. If you’re finding them easy then a smaller cog will make you faster on the flat. And if you’re struggling MTFU persevere, you’ll get stronger and it’ll get easier.

simon1975

52:18 fixed for me on the drop-bar road bike. It’s sometimes a bit too tall a gear on those “in between” gradients which aren’t steep enough to stand up for, or in a strong headwind.

But I run 48:18 fixed on my commuter which is too low-geared for me for a proper road ride without the panniers.

“Run what you brung” and adjust to suit your needs!

D0NK

My pompy came with 48×18, first couple of rides I thought I’d need to go for a 17 but after a few rides on tired legs and some hilly rides I decided to stick with it. I managed to gurn up a lot of hills and didn’t often spin out, cruising speed of ~17/18mph felt right, I was running 23c tyres btw. If I get another road SSer I’ll be using the same ratio.

I recommend WI freehub, lovely bit of kit, worth the money imo.

epicyclo

With a 48 front I like a 20 on the rear for an all day cruise. (Highlands, abt 120miles)

brooess
    Free Member

And if you’re struggling MTFU persevere, you’ll get stronger and it’ll get easier.

It won’t get easier, but you will get faster 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

I spin out around 18mph,are you guys really spinning out at 20mph with those big gears?

I think people’s definition of “spinning out” varies as much as recommended gears. 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

67-73 gear inches depending on terrain.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Single speed- road ratio’ is closed to new replies.