Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Single speed road chain set options
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Possible stealth wanted ad alert.

I need a new chain set for my pompetamine.
    It is currently running an FSA double chain set, running just one ring.

Any reason to change to a single chain set or should I stick with the double and 1 ring?

As a follow up has any one seen any good deals on suitable chain sets?

Thanks

JoB
    Free Member

all my singlespeed chainsets have been doubles with just a single ring on, never been a problem

cyclistm
    Free Member

Thanks Jo. Any reason I can’t use MTB crankarms assuming I can find a suitable chain ring??

JoB
    Free Member

there might be issues fitting an MTB chainset to a road bike, chainline, BB axle length, crank clearance, but there are many variables, it’s been bodged before though

edhornby

it depends on the rear spacing of the frame and the wheel that goes into it to define the chainline – for a pompino the use of a double with a SS ring on it is the best solution so I’d stick with that.

cookeaa

Pompetamine is 135mm rear spacing innit, so you should be OK using just about any crank really, assuming the rear hub isn’t too whacky…

Can you not just get a SS type ring and some shorter bolts, for the existing crank?

try here…

Otherwise If you have to get new cranks how’s about a nice pair of stronglights and a square taper BB?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Thanks all. I don’t NEED new cranks, but the BB on the current one needs replacing and I only just realised it’s an Fsa with a 19mm axle so it seems like a good idea to swap it for something more standard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Single speed road chain set options’ is closed to new replies.