Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Single speed road bikes. What should be on my list to look at ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Need a new commuter and a SS road bike should fit the bill perfectly.

Currently looking at a Trek Triton and a Genesis Day One as a bit more of a cross type option.

What else should be on my list to consider ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think Charge make one.

And Specialized (langster maybe?)

Bregante

Kona Paddy Wagon is nice (recently sold mine) and I’ve always fancied the surly steamroller.

RickyRah
    Free Member

Pearson Touche.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve got an older Giant Bowery which I really like, and the new ones look very nice.

Pearson Touche looks the dogs too.

sandwicheater

Paddy Wagon and V V cheap on Evans at the moment.

rootes1

Pearson Touche.

yep nice riding bikes plus room for 28s and proper mudgaurds + rack if you need and options to have flat, drop, bullhorn bars, wheel colour etc when you order

drofluf
    Free Member

I would have recommended the SE Lager but I’ve just had a look at the current incarnation on their website and it’s truly horrible. I’ve got one that’s badged as a Dawes and it’s a great bike, very comfortable, I did my first century on it

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Bum. Only 49 cm Paddy Wagons left at Evans now. Need a normal sized frame really. Good shout though, that’s going on the list.

Pearson Touche, never considered that ! hmmm..

Not drop bars, but I quite like this

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/ultraflight-01-2011-road-bike-ec025130

Bregante

56cm Kona Band wagon at Merlin? (higher spec paddy wagon)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Mountain+Bikes/Kona+Bikes/Kona+Bandwagon+-+2010_K-BANDWAGON.htm

Bargain!!

Those Pearsons are lovely in the flesh too

frenhtony
    Free Member

Got a Ridgeback solo world. Used it all summer, commute + club runs. It’s my fav road bike. It’s heavy. It goes. It’s comfy. Set up fixed gear.

Gears are like condoms. They improve your performance, but it’s not as nice.

rootes1

quote of the month and it is only the 1st of the month!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

😯 😳 😆

I’ll let you know how that goes down with the missus thee neet.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Fuji Track

Moses

I love my Kona Major One, more a cross bike but so good to ride.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    Ringo
    Free Member

Charlie bikemonger was doin a de,al on paddy wagons I believe

_tom_
    Free Member

Langster, I had one from about 2006 and it was brilliant.

meehaja
    Free Member

swobo del norte is lovely..

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Bloody el, that Merida’s cheap. Must be rubbish to be that cheap.

Surely. ❓

I’ll check out CTBM.

frenhtony
    Free Member

i don’t wanna open a can of worm, but try to get a steel frame. It make a big difference to comfort, and particularly if you are gonna ride fixed it’ll make a massive difference to how much you enjoy the ride. To continue on my previous theme:

Steel frame are like big girls. More cushion for the pushin

I’m on fire today

PS: the ridgeback solo has a steel frame made by genesis

thepodge
    Free Member

Thats a bit of unscientific reasoning right there.

My skinny steel fixie is a million times less comfy than my huge alu road bike.

it has a whole lot more to do with contact points than frame material.

unovolo
    Free Member

Cannondale Capo (if they still do them).

frenhtony
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    Thats a bit of unscientific reasoning right there.

My skinny steel fixie is a million times less comfy than my huge alu road bike.

it has a whole lot more to do with contact points than frame material.

There is much truth in what you say, but for equivalent geometry and contact point the steel is comfier and more compliant surely making bumps and road buzz are less noticeable.

In my experience and humble opinion, on a fixed you spend a lot more time with you weight in the saddle.

TBH I don’t have a massive experience with road bikes. Limited to an alu road, an alu/carbon time trial and steel fixed rd.

Nick

Pompino, steel, takes racks and guards, brilliant with 48×18 over lumpy roads, cheap.

rp16v
    Free Member

i have a alloy carrera vitouso that has ben ssed and flat bared and got a magic ratio feel wise its nicer then the steel frames iv riden but looking to upgrade as chains and sprockets will slacken with wear so a adjustable rear end would be nice
    the merida mentioned is a very comfy bike to ride am actualy goig to second look at one soon to see if it can be molded for fast commuting as its very hyrid/comfy bike setup otp

booty
    Free Member

I cannot see how the Merida is suitable for single speed or fixed wheel use as it seems to have a vertical rear drop out and fixed centre bottom bracket; chain adjustment is an essential, particularly for fixed where backlash is a complete anathema.
    Either steel or ally can be designed, through tube sizing and geometry, to be more or less flexible/comfortable though it has to be said that the sections and wall thickness of most ally frames makes them inherently stiffer. Equally important for comfort is the choice of tyre air chamber depth, handlebar material, saddle type etc.
    The modern ‘fashion’ for general purpose road cycles to mirror the practices of racing cycle design is counter productive in terms of comfort and not necessarily beneficial to progress along the road.
    From what I understand the Pearson Touche is one of very few ‘off the peg’ single speed bikes where the design includes much consideration of comfort in so much as it has a relaxed steering geometry, long wheel base and space for large section tyres – and the option for the buyer to specify other components that impact comfort.

charliedontsurf

surly steamroller everytime. Cant beat it. Lovely frame full of character and attitude.

rootes1

also if a Pearson Touche is too expensive they do a steel frame version called the Hanzo – like the Touche it takes proper guards and a rack etc

Vortexracing

Cotic Roadrat

stu_d
    Free Member

Condor pista or tempo

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

anything that is not Track geometry or a new wave fixie and you’ll be fine.

if its cheap but good and strong you want, either a Paddy Wagon due to the steel frame and guard eyes or a Langster as for that money, nothing is lighter.

if is cool points, then a steamroller everytime but once the frame is bought and fitted out, your nearly talking double the money on a Paddy?!

i’ve been through 5 ss/fixed road bikes and always needed something more than than current one gave me. first was too small plus a track bike, second was too Cross, third was uncool and had no guard eyes, fouth had guard eyes, was cool, rode well, but too small for me and the Surly Steamroller is the fifth and cock on 😀 (but i have to have raceblades :cry:)nothing is perfect.

Coleman
    Free Member

Kona Bandwagon still available in 56cm at Merlin at a decent price;
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Mountain+Bikes/Kona+Bikes/Kona+Bandwagon+-+2010_K-BANDWAGON.htm
    A further 10% off for VIP members also.

However, if your looking to build one up my fav. frame at the mo is the Evil Resident which Wiggle have on clearance.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/evil-bikes-resident-frame-and-fork-2010/

Smuzzy
    Free Member

I’m with Charlie, Surly Steamroller all the way…..

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

That steamroller is lovely

oldgit
    Free Member

Any singlespeed frames with road standard ends so I don’t have to run track hubs?

karnali
    Free Member

konamajor 1 449at crc in a 54 flavour bargain

oldgit
    Free Member

What about an old build?

Didn’t realize I was sitting on a valuable chainset when I got this, the old Stronglight 49D

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

CRC’s Major 1 is a right deal

petestuart
    Free Member

Kona PW has toe overlap which is a little annoying on a fixed – at least my 2009 model did.

If I were buying another I’d get a Genesis Day or a Charge Plug. Mind you that Ridgeback looks ace…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Single speed road bikes. What should be on my list to look at ?’ is closed to new replies.