Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Single Speed ratio for full sus
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

Put to use my old Stumpy full sus by kitting it out as a Single Speeder but not sure what size front chairing to use biased slightly to climbing also will need some sort of tensioner for rear to accommodate changing chain length (because of rear movement).

Should I have done this in the first place to a full susser or traded for HT?

wwaswas

you’ll probably be best with a bodged derailleur for chain tension – not sure most tensioners will cope with the chain length changes very well.

it’s easier to SS a URT suspension bike but you coudl give it a go.

Or maybe just switch it to 1×9 or whatever and keep the rear gears?

as for front chainring – use the 32 off the existing chainset and then an 18 at the bake to give yourself a sporting chance on the climbs.

Tony.w
    Free Member

No existing as I used the other kit on my new frame so need a crankset, I have a reas SS kit to fit free wheel but not sure the size.

wwaswas

if you’re starting from a bare frame you might be better gettign a cheap hardtail frame from the clasifieds and using that.

Anything with a chainstay pivot’s going to be a compromise for singlespeed, imo.

clubber
    Free Member

Why not give it a go – nothing lost IMO – I’ve had single pivot SSs before and they were fine. Horst link design (eg your Spesh) should be fine too though you may want to add in some more compression damping (if you can) to deal with gurning low rev climbing.

Ratio – normal SS ratio eg 2:1ish to start. I’m on 32×17 FWIW

I currently have this as a SS option 🙂

adeward
    Free Member

i have been running full sus single speed since 1999 on a marin mount vision and later on a whyte preston
    always run 2:1 but i run an old skool sunn bb mounted tensioner , it has been reliable for 11 years now just needs new jockey wheel every now and then
    most normal tensioners wont pull the 17mm of chain that the marin or whyte needed ,

i always run a 36 front ring as bigger is always better in life

both bikes are a bit heavy compared to something like my ragley td-1

Tony.w
    Free Member

Yeh 36 sounds good

Cluber: see you are not running a front chainguide I was under the impretion that I would need one. Maybe try it out and see

clubber
    Free Member

No need for a front chain guide if the tensioner is set up right. Also make sure the chainline is spot on – eg the front chainring and rear sprocket are exactly in line.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Just about to SS my old Voodoo Canzo ti- it’s a URT 🙂

Using a blackspire stinger, will see how I get on.

If there are chain growth issues, why not just use an old mech as a tensioner? You can set it with a cable turned the wrong way round, and it will move with the suspension

clubber
    Free Member

Funnily enough I think URTs finally found their niche in FS SSs – the suspension stiffening is spot on for a SS where you get out of the saddle to gurn up hills. I find my Mantra great as a SS – just wish it was a fraction longer in the top tube.

Tony.w
    Free Member

Thanks for that I will go and play

flatfish
    Free Member

Got a giant xtc nrs converted to ss duties.
    Worked fine for SS Euro’s and SSUK last year, rohloff tensioner and no front guide.

wwaswas

oooh, I’ve got a ‘spare’ Giant NRS frame and forks in the garage.

Tony.w
    Free Member

Thanks for reminding me if i recall somone was selling a Alfine tensioner on here either Fri/Sat

Will dig back a little

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed ratio for full sus’ is closed to new replies.