Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • SINGLE SPEED OPTIONS…..
  • rocklobster
    Free Member

I’m looking at building up a single speed mtb hardtail and I’m unsure what frame type do i go for.

option 1 – vertical dropouts with a chain tensioner.

option 2 – slot dropout frame and chain tug.

I will be using quick release wheels no matter what.

Any ideas and experiences of both people??

meehaja
    Free Member

slot drop looks tidier and is more adjustable, vertical is more secure but then you need a tensioner which is just another part that can fail.

curlie467
    Free Member

For what it is worth, i use a frame with vertical and an old mech as a chain tensioner, no problems so far.

Stoner
    Free Member

I hate tensioners on vert drop outs. I have to use one on my vert scandal with the rohloff.

Personally I like the slot dropout design with a surly chain tug. Faff-free and reliable.

And on-one SS frames are £140 in the sale – nice, clean, white simple look.. (NB no hanger for geared conversion). slot drop out with hanger also available.

wwaswas

slots + chain tug + QR.

EBB is the bestest solution I’ve ever had but obviously limits you on frame choice and adds some weight over slot dropouts.

cupra
    Free Member

You could go for vertical dropouts with an ebb. Selling my complete bike at the moment (not because of the ebb) and prefer the ebb to the other two options.

SiB
    Free Member

I use both and prefer the slot dropout…..does what it says on the tin with no need for extra components, looks tidier, less can go wrong, designed for the job.

Wouldnt hesitate converting a vert dropout frame to SS though but if I had the choice I would go for slots.

nick3216
    Free Member

option 3 – swinger dropout. vertical, but swings for chain tension.

black cat driveside by nick3216, on Flickr

Clobber
    Free Member

Definitely EBB

ssboggy

I’v tried option 1 and 2 and prefer EBB 😀

kayak23

Singlespeed with a bottom chainring roller to achieve the tension(such as a Blackspire Stinger)
    Has the added benefit of making your chain even more secure. You need a chainring that allows access to the iscg bolts so as you can slacken it though you may get away with a quick release chain linkage…

nick3216
    Free Member

EBBs add weight and squeak. IMO. YMMV. obviously. Horrid things.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Tried EBB, horizontal drops and verts with a tensioner. Horizontal wins (for me) every time.

Clobber
    Free Member

nick3216 – Member
    EBBs add weight and squeak. IMO. YMMV. obviously. Horrid things.

EBB minor weight penalty is more than made up for with the lack of faff compared with adjustable dropouts.

Any squeaking is due to poor installation.

drfrasiercrane
    Free Member

Another for swinger dropouts. I have just bought a Salsa Ala Carte and the system is great.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/ala_carte_2011/

bentudder

Bear in mind that using a QR with horizontal dropouts is sub-optimal – you need to do it up pretty tight to prevent movement on the drive side (lots of power pulling the wheel forward) and disc side (assuming you’re using discs) pulling it all over the shop. A chain tug solves this, but then s does a nice bolt-up hub like a DMR Revolver, which can run QR or bolt up.

I’ve used track ends (horizontal dropouts) and EBB, and EBB is pretty amazing. I’ve not had the creaking issues Nick mentions *so far* after two years, but YMMV. IMHO each method has its flaws – you pays yer money…

Keef
    Free Member

Eccentricker…..

IA

Sliding dropouts with built in tug have been the most reliable/easiest for me:

2nd best is horizontal with a decent tug, got that on my triX.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

3rd option, verical dropouts an no tensioners. Just pick the right ratio’s. It is very doable and relaible.

Clobber
    Free Member

bm0p700f – Member
    3rd option, verical dropouts an no tensioners. Just pick the right ratio’s. It is very doable and relaible.

Until your chain stretches…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Track ends and a Surly tugnut here and never have any problems with slippage…the tugnut is also a bottle opener so what more could you want 😀

I do use hex skewers for extra security, but not sure I need them tbh.

Plenty of folk here complain about the faff of getting the wheel out using horizontal dropouts and discs but IME it takes about 10 seconds to release a bolt on the caliper.. I’ve never found it that much of an issue.

takisawa2

Tried all the above. Slot drops & junk the qr for a nutted axle. Saves faffing around with a tensioner.
    EBB on my SIR9 has never made a squeak.

donks
    Free Member

Go for a bike with DMR Swap outs such as Kinesis or I think the on one Carbons as you can easily change these back for regular mech hanger and vertical drop outs if you need to put gears back on. These are pretty simple and cheap and dont have any fancy moving, swinging features like some others.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘SINGLE SPEED OPTIONS…..’ is closed to new replies.