Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Single speed Mountain biking
  • wergsy

Seriously considering a single speed mtb, charge cooker 0…

It would be my ‘second bike’, used on simple trails, canals etc.

Never ridden a SS, what are they like? Talk to me people!

simondbarnes

They are like mountain bikes but with one gear. Best if you have a few hills IME.

Twodogs

Try riding your current bike without changing gear (32/16 ish)…see how you get on

Klunk
    Free Member

It would be my ‘second bike’,

bet it won’t be.

what are they like?

the uncluttered bars are nice, you learn to maintain you momentum, you go up hill like a mad man till your legs explode. they are very slow on flat stuff like canal paths, and like a puppy not just for christmas.

wergsy

I’m liking the simplicity of it, I have been riding my mtb on lockout and similar gearing, hopefully the save in weight from my current bike will counter the fact I have no gears on climbs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Try riding your current bike without changing gear (32/16 ish)…see how you get on

It never works. A mixture of mindset and for the first few rides you will try and shift up gears on the flat.

Just throw a conversion kit on a hard tail, half the fun is it’s cheap and simple. Buying a new bike is both expensive and then you go through the inevitable trudge of replacing all the cut corners.

The weight saving isn’t enough to offset the gears, what you do notice is the lack of weight on the rear wheel, it skips uphill over roots.

Sprint uphill, learn to spin on the flats, then recover on the downs.

holmes81
    Free Member

It’s a state of mind 😉

I really like it, as has already been said, not shifting does NOT work. Try it out with a conversion kit, or go ghetto remove shifters, and front mech, then use current rear mech as a tensioner (which a bit of inner to get correct alignment).

Easy least to clean when having had a horrible muddy ride.

Give it a try!

Twodogs

It never works. A mixture of mindset….

No I know, I was being facetious….

Clink

I used to ride exclusively ss (about 8 years). Now I have owned a geared bike for a bit ss does my head in. I keep trying to like it again, but miss being able to change up into a higher gear. Perhaps some winter mud will persuade me again!

fin25
    Free Member

I’ve got two ss bikes (a 29 plus and an inbred commuter). I’m seriously considering making my fatbike ss. Not because it makes me faster or stronger or anything like that, I just prefer single speed. Less temptation to wimp out, you just have to ride everything.

shakers97
    Free Member

They are awesome. I have a SS cx bike. Wish I’d done it years ago, perfect 2nd bike.

bikesian65
    Free Member

I dug my old charge duster SS out and fitted some 700×35 wheels I had in the shed – mainly for the commute to work to try and get a bit fitter on a relatively short commute – It has increased my fitness and I really noticed this on my geared bike ( only ridden once) – problem is I find riding geared a bit hard now as I am always in the wrong gear !

Don’t know what that proves but happy riding SS here

frood
    Free Member

SS riding allows you to not think about changing gears constantly. It’s very liberating, but not social. Just before a hill you’ll learn to accelerate and grind till you blow up or reach the top on the way down you’ll learn to flow with the trail. It’s great fun

Ben_H

I’d suggest an easier ratio, like 32:18-32:20 (26-29er) to start with – especially if you have some hills.

StirlingCrispin

I love my singlespeed.

Had one for 15 years now – and like Trigger’s Broom, the only original bit is the saddle, which I replaced last week.

Love having a bike I can just grab and ride, work hard on the climbs, zip the climbs and blatter the flats while carrying speed. It’s a different type of riding to a geared bike – you go fast on different bits.

Do it 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

hopefully the save in weight from my current bike will counter the fact I have no gears on climbs.

it won’t but the fact you have no choice but to just get on with it means you will put more effort into the climbs because you have to – otherwise you will come to a stop.

And for me that turned into liking climbs and getting faster rather than seeing them as the bad bit of the ride.

The long flat sections are the bad bit, especially when spinning out for a mile or more.

noltae
    Free Member

I’ve never owned a geared bike in my life – whenever I’ve borrowed one I just find all the shifting a real hassle . As for spinning out – its about perfecting the art of appropriate cadence for the terrain in question ..

wilburt
    Free Member

When I was last into MTB a Single soeed was all I had, really enjoyed it and if anything I was faster on tight twisty woodland trails, however 29ers came along and I just couldnt keep up on the open sections.

gerti
    Free Member

I built one up about 6 months ago, it’s without doubt my favourite bike.

Yes it can be a bit annoying spinning out on the flat but you learn to accept the enforced break, which allows you to give it more welly when you meet an incline.

garage-dweller

Great for the filth and if you’ve not got extreme gradients / an excess of flat to contend with.

But they stink for pedalling up long climbs with great views. Much nicer to sit and spin and admire mother nature. Same thing for me with trail centres I want to winch up and then enjoy the purpose built descents with fresher legs (yes I’m unfit).

For me, very much a winter night ride kind of bike.

Others opinions definitely vary (a lot!) ….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Single speed Mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.