Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Single speed kit
  • jremedy13
    Free Member

Looking to convert my fs to single speed. Currently running Shimano slx 11 speed. Had a look around online at different kits and just wondered if anyone’s got any recommendations.

Cheers

teamslug
    Free Member

Gusset gear is good. You are going to need a tensioner. Make sure chain length takes in to account any chain growth.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

FS is a bit of a faff as you still need a mech of sorts to tension it unless its a concentric BB like a DMR Bolt or Kona-A.

The rolhoff and alfine ones get mentioned a lot.

I’d add a lower chain guide like a blackspire stinger to take out the slack when the bikes at rest (most bikes get longer chainstays at full compression and a lower chain guide will have less effect at that point).

Before you ride it, take the shock out and check the chain tension at all points in the travel, put it in a bike stand and loop a zip tie through the shock mounts so you can pull the wheel up a bit at a time to check. The chain needs to wobble like there’s some play on it, but not be loose, and definitely not tight enough to ‘twang’ like a guitar string at any point!

Jerm

You could always use the mech as a tensioner. Given that it has a clutch it may work better anyway. Just use a short length of inner cable from the barrel adjuster to the clamp. You don’t need to use the shifter. Even if you move on to something else, it is a good starting point to see if SS is for you and, if you leave the whole cassette on for now, what gear ratio is best.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a Bikemonger SS kit which includes a tensioner. Works well but I’ve no other kit to compare it to.

cookeaa

Is What’s really needed is a narrow/wide sprocket?
    And a SS specific clutched tensioner?

These aren’t products I’m aware of actually existing, just thoughts that occurred to me…

kayla1
    Free Member

You don’t need a narrow/wide for singlespeed. There used to be a sprung BB mounted tensioner which would be ideal for a singlespeed FS because it’d keep the dangly bits out of the way and the weight closer to the CoG (I think Zerode might have used one?) but I don’t think they’re available any more. A short rear mech would be better than a simple single wheel tensioner though, you’ll get a bit more chain wrap with a mech which’ll help keep the chain on when things get bouncy. Maybe consider a chain device too, I used one on my Switchback when I did a few DH races on it (singlespeed).

cookeaa

I’d imagine if you need to accommodate some chain grow a double pulley tensioner like this alfine CT-S500 is a good option:

But it’s not much cheaper than a Deore or slx mech…

Those zerode tensioners were in the perfect spot to **** at full compression

kayla1
    Free Member

Ah, yes, I forgot about those. I’ve got a brand new one here if you want it for £notverymuch.

kayla1
    Free Member

Dunno, those Zerode efforts look pretty out of the way-

cookeaa

Wanging about next to the tyre, Attached to the BB, which is already an inch or so lower than the rear mech mount, and gets closer to the ground the more you use the suspension?
    I can’t think of a much worse place for it…

I’d consider a fixed roller tucked up behind the chainring, with a sprung rear tensioner, but a cage at the BB? Nah.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Dunno, those Zerode efforts look pretty out of the way-

Specific to and bolted to a Pinion gearbox.  It’s pretty tucked away from damage but can collect muck from the tyre that makes it past the stays.  I have one on my Pinion hardtail

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I got “forced” down the double-SS route last summer on my fatbike, after the rear mech cable frayed enough around the BB to make the shifter useless.

Even though I have a https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SKOOSSKK/on-one-singlespeed-converter-kit (which cost me £5) and a 34T On One Ringmaster n/w chain in the spares box, I simply used the existing Altus 310 rear mech’s limiting screws to ensure the chain stayed on the 17T sprocket (the smallest sprocket the limits would go to, 5th of 8) with the existing chain.

I could then use the 38/17 on the downhill (up to approx -6% before it was best to freewheel) and flat, with 24/17 to get up the two inclines home from work that briefly hit approx 15%.

dovebiker

Problem Solvers do a double-pulley chain tensioner with adjustable chain-line. If you use proper SS sprockets and chainring with correct chainline there should be no need for a clutch.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Wanging about next to the tyre, Attached to the BB, which is already an inch or so lower than the rear mech mount, and gets closer to the ground the more you use the suspension?
    I can’t think of a much worse place for it…

Roox Rollercoasters never got grief for that albeit in those days you could probably run under your BB.

Those Blackspire Stinger type tensioners still exist on eBay IIRC. An old road mech with longer H/L screws to set the position would also work, I’ve done that in the past. If you gutted it I doubt it would be much heavier than that Alfine gizmo.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Single speed kit’ is closed to new replies.