Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • single speed curious…..
  • fattylee
    Free Member

Right so after buying my first ever mountain bike, I’m finding I end up scrapping crap off my drive train every time out. Plus I know making it single speed will make me at least 50% sexier 😉

Rode single speed as a trial most of last year on my hybrid by simply not changing gear but never got around to stripping off the shifters as they were cheapo combined units.

My new voodoo bizango has adjustable drop outs so I won’t even need a tensioner..

What exactly do I need??

Single speed 18t converter on one?
    Chain splitter ?
    Shorter chain set bolts for shimano alivio chain set
    Cassette removal tool

And anything else I need to think about

Regards fatty

martymac

some spacers to take up the space where the rest of the cassette was, a lockring to hold them on.
    velosolo or charlie the bikemonger are good, i can vouch for both.

parkesie
    Free Member

Think youve got it covered. You could get a bash ring instead of shorter bolts or be a real tight arse like me and file the bolts shorter.

khani
    Free Member

A chain tug?..
    You only need one on the driveside.

tthew

Might be an idea to replace the chainring with a specific SS one too. On one have them. Standard chainrings are designed to encourage the chain to fall off.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If you do change the chainring, I’d go for a Goldtec wibbly one – like the old Biopace rings but these work. It’s a bit voodoo, but you do notice the difference.

Andy-R

khani – Member
    A chain tug?..
    You only need one on the driveside.

You wont need one with sliding dropouts.

khani
    Free Member

I didn’t know if they were horizontal or sliding dropouts on the Biz..My bad…

letmetalktomark

If you can run reasonable chain tension and not require a tensioner the std rings will be fine for trial purposes.

As others have said a SS (unramped) chainring will be best in the long term but I found running a 32t shimano middle ring to be problem free.

Enjoy, SSing is fun.

fattylee
    Free Member

Right……
    Like a true mechanical retard I have managed to fit the spacers and remove the mechs etc. Only skinned two knuckles. I have tensioned the chain and seem to have a really good chain line but I can feel a clunk as I pedal along at certain points what could this be????????

Yak

Is there a tight spot when you spin the cranks round? Possibly the chainring is not centred. The chain should not be drum tight either.

Is it an old chain with some wear/stretch? Might not like the new 18t cog. Maybe a new chain.
    SS cogs/ chainrings are usually for 3/32″ chains so use those.

fattylee
    Free Member

I think the chain may be a little tight looking at it

ctk
    Free Member

your chain might need flexing back and forth in the place you split it.

fattylee
    Free Member

New chain on yesterday and the chain has already come off and jammed behind crank… I thought single speed was meant to be less maintence do I really need a new chainring, as chain seems perfectly tensioned

tomhoward

Normal chain rings are designed to help the chain fall off. That’s why it fell off. You need an ss specific one, which is designed to help the chain not fall off. So it won’t fall off.

Hth

fattylee
    Free Member

On one has ss chain rings in at£15 so I’ll have to pop in and get one of those and a ss chain

singlespeedstu

You need to increase your beer intake by at least 100% and be ready to beat the hot girls off with a shitty stick.

Though you seem to be most of the way to already being a singlespeeder with a name like yours. 🙂

fattylee
    Free Member

Loving the ss experience so far apart from the niggles have been generally impressed with what I can mash up hill wise and loving the simplicity of it…

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m pretty new to riding singlespeed and was surprised what a faff it was to get one gear working properly. After having done all that I’ve decided to get a Bizango on the cycle2work scheme, so I will have to go through it all again. Does the built in chain tensioner work well? It is hard to see how the adjustable dropouts work from pictures on tinternet.

martymac

i use a normal geared chainring with ramps and pins etc (shimano slx) with a ss chain and sprocket, the chain has never fallen off.
    im tempted to suggest that either your chainline isnt straight, or your chain isnt tight enough.
    if you have horizontal dropouts you will probably need a chaintug in my experience, especially if you are heavy (i am).
    if you have vertical dropouts you will need a chain tensioner to maintain tension in the chain, even if its correct to start with it will wear over time, resulting in a slack chain.
    1st thing i would be checking is the chainline though, it needs to be straight.
    hope this helps.

takisawa2

If your sure the chainline is correct…
    Look at the chain tension as you spin the cranks slowly, should be even tension all the way round. If not, loosen the bolts a bit & give the ring a tap to centralise it. Ring might be sitting eccentric to the crank & creating a tight / loose spot.

Look closely as each link enters & exits each tooth…should be smooth & in the centre. Look for any tight joints.

On-one stainless rings are a bargain.

Your about to have a sexual revolution, but if they spot a Goldtech Wobble chain ring, you’ll get fed up of shooing hot birds out of your bedroom every night, like am angry shepherd. The noise annoys the Wife when she’s wants an early night.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with normal chainrings throwing the chain.

I’d agree with marty in that your chain isnt tight enough. The clunk could easily be the chain flexing side to side and catching a tooth, I get the same thing after the chain has worn a bit but then just take up the slack a bit more

fattylee
    Free Member

I had hamfistedly fitted the chain and bent the link on the backside… 😀
    Changed out that section of chain checked it all works smoothly. Retensioned and it feels perfect. No clunking or clicking and the chain didn’t come off in a five mile test ride.
    The bizango tensioners are lovely just undo two Allen dolts on each drop out tighten the tensioner and lock with the locknut.then tighten up the Allen bolts. It tensions by pivoting the wheel backwards slightly.
    Bizango is a nice fram really loving mine

fattylee
    Free Member

Gold tech wobble chain ring eh??? Fighting them off???

john_l
    Free Member

Easiest way to check chainline is to put the bike in the stand & spin the cranks whilst deflecting the chain sideways with a screwdriver. If it’s good, it’ll stay on.

fattylee
    Free Member

25 miles today absolutely perfect.. I’ll probably get an on one chain ring Tuesday and a single speed chain just to be sure….

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks for that Lee, I’m definitely getting one now.

DrP

Ring might be sitting eccentric to the crank & creating a tight / loose spot.

I’d never thought of this! I have a slight tight/lose spot – this MUST be the cause!

DrP

fattylee
    Free Member

fattylee
    Free Member

How do I get my pics to upload???

joshvegas
    Free Member

by putting [/img] at the end or cclicking the img button again

fattylee
    Free Member

VanMan
    Free Member

That the one?

fattylee
    Free Member

Van man how??? I copy link press image button and paste but no bannana

letmetalktomark

I like this one 🙂

cliffyc
    Free Member

I’d try the “proto” mode remove shifter for rear mech and tape it out of the way.This means you can shift to different rear cogs,(remotely,at least) to find what ratio suits you riding style/terrain before you choose rear cog size.The Surly kit is nice.

VanMan
    Free Member

Lee – for the Flikr one clicked on the share this button, then the one that looks like a drawing pin, then copied the text in the box, then pasted it into the box you write the post in on here

et voila 🙂

fattylee
    Free Member

Wicked..
    Thanks I’m pants with technology

fattylee
    Free Member

Edit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘single speed curious…..’ is closed to new replies.