• This topic has 63 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Single speed curious….
  • DanW
    Free Member

The frame has arrived and I’ve started to get a few bit together 😀 Excuse the carpet 😳 Just need the postman to bring a few more bits and I should be up and rocking soon. Cheers all!

fattylee
    Free Member

motozulu
    Free Member

They are indeed Gusset jury’s – 29er flavour to keep the same geom as when the 120mm Suntours were on. They are great – steel but light and I am doing the red routes at Cannock as well as the cheekies so they are getting some rough treatment. They feel strong as.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    danielgroves
    Free Member

Ignoring the fact that you’ve already started receiving bit, everyone else has had a chance to show their off so I’ll join in 😉

Must really grab a better picture when I’m next out.

32:20 as it stands, have a 16 kicking around for when I want something bigger to push. Horizontal dropouts and a full-carbon rigid fork.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That fork is ace, I have one on my whippet.

motozulu
    Free Member

I looked at the exotic carbon forks – really wanted one but was outside the budget I’d set for the conversion, pleased with the Gusset Jury’s though especially for under £70 new.

motozulu
    Free Member

Dan nice bits there – what happened to the rigid fork though?

fattylee
    Free Member

[/url]
    IMG_20140220_132612 by iamleegould, on Flickr[/img]
    Now with a leather saddle and rigid forks.

Anyone using a half link chain???

motozulu
    Free Member

Let’s see the latest pic then!

DanW
    Free Member

Dan nice bits there – what happened to the rigid fork though?

Cheers! 😀 Looking at the parts I have I think my new “SS bike” will be a “super snob” bike rather than just a “single speed” 😳 Not super glamorous but not the klunker I had in mind when starting building…

In my heart I think a rigid fork is needed but having spent more than planned already and having both Fox and Magura forks lying around it doesn’t make too much sense at the moment. Aesthetically I love the on-one straight bladed forks with the silver crown but they were out of stock. The weightweenie in my likes the look of Trigon forks which are good value too. The curved forks look a little gash though 😕

Just waiting on a Yess tenstioner from Clee, KMC Z610 HX chain from Charlie the Bikemonger, Xpedo Ti pedals from JE James and a 130g, £50 Chinese carbon seatpost. Can’t wait!

motozulu
    Free Member

Ha ha – budgets are for girls! 😀

Gotama
    Free Member

Dan, before you go for the rigid on one forks have a google search for them on here. If my memory serves me correctly (and you’re referring to the cromo ones) they are apparently very harsh and not that pleasant to ride. At the cheaper end the swift forks are highly rated and mine have a nice amount of flex …..or you could flog the suspension and get a second hand niner carbon 😀

onewheelgood

Apparently Charlie has some Soloist frames at a very reasonable price – the standard one, not the 853. But it’s the same shape.

DanW
    Free Member

Ha ha – budgets are for girls!

I totally blew the budget already and don’t need any encouragement to keep going! 😀

There’s lots of the Sanderson frames cheap on ebay at the mo too if anyone is looking for other sizes. That red does look awesome!

Dan, before you go for the rigid on one forks have a google search for them on here. If my memory serves me correctly (and you’re referring to the cromo ones) they are apparently very harsh and not that pleasant to ride.

The ones I like aesthetically are similar to the ones on the Sanderson above. Big carbon legs and curved blades just don’t appeal aesthetically…

Good or bad?

mjsmke

Heres my first SS build. My aim was to build a very cheap SS play bike for short commutes and a bit of fun. Built mostly from old spares. Total cost was about £150. The frame was my old 1999 Jamis Durango. Brakes are old XT 4 pots that i bought in 2000 or 2001 and have never been bled since!

I know the steerer needs cutting down…but i’ve not had a chance to ride it yet.

slackalice
    Free Member

Slow progress at the moment with my first SS, most bits are now here, so I thought some may appreciate a gander at how its looking so far 🙂

Waiting frame and forks

Some of the bits

Wheels are Crests with Hope 2Pro’s and as soon as the hub spacers arrive, I’ll have no excuses 😀

aa
    Free Member

Slackalice, that should build up REAL nice!

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks aa 😀

That’s what I’m hoping for!

I missed out on some cheap Cro Moto’s earlier this week on ebay, but no rush, as I’m reckoning on the SID’s to feel nice and not too much heavier than the CM’s anyway.

I’ll post some more as progress occurs 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Looks awesome so far!

DanW
    Free Member

Just waiting for the seatpost then I’ll be done. 8.15kg 😯 Just the grips, seatpost and saddle left to fit (cut brake hoses too). Final weight should be 8.41kg which isn’t bad going for a few hundred quid and spare parts I’m struggling to sell/ hoarding 😀

Yak

slackalice – looks it will be lovely. We’ll have to meet up for a few singlespeed laps of qecp once you’ve built it.

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks Yak! Definitely, up for that 🙂

As it was my birthday yesterday…. A day of self indulgence and pretty crap weather… Ta….

Daaaa!…..

All built up and ready to go after many months of gathering bits. A quick zoot up and along the road and it feels good! 8)

Set up with an 18t cog for the time being and whilst my legs get used to this only one gear thing!

Duffer
    Free Member

Looking good! I love the hints of green.

DanW
    Free Member

Looks awesome slackalice!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Single speed curious….’ is closed to new replies.