Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Single speed conversion for a road bike.
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I’ve been getting an itch to convert one of my raod bikes into a single speed and having never done this before I’m not 100% sure how to go about it.

I’ve had a look at conversion kits for the rear wheel and the teeth on the sprocket seem deeper. Does this mean I will also need a specific chain as well as a compatable chain ring for the front? I’ve also had a look at chainsets and tensioners too, but ideally I’d like to do it the cheapest way possible at first to see if I can adapt to it.

Bike is a Bianchi 1885 with vertical dropouts.

Any advice will be much appreciated. 🙂

wwaswas

check, but most of them will work with 8/9 speed chains.

you’ll probably need a tensioner as well – one of the kits where you get the cog, spacers and tensioner in one go woudl be worht having.

depending on where you live the 39 tooth you currently have up front will be ok with a 16 or 18 rear to get you started.

drofluf
    Free Member

You’ll need a tensioner unless you’re very lucky with the sprocket/chainring sizes you choose and the length of your chainstays.

You shouldn’t need a new chain to accommodate the deeper teeth, only issue may be if you’re running 10/11 speed, then the chain may be too narrow depending on the sprockets

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It’s currently set up as a Campag 10 speed. I assume the conversion kits are compatable with all type of free hubs?

drofluf
    Free Member

I can see 2 potential issues with Campag.

1. Sprockets have a different spline pattern from Shimano, if you’re happy to dismantle your existing cassette and use a sprocket from there then that shouldn’t be a problem.

2. The DMR kit spacers are a set of rings that replace the sprockets from your cassette – I don’t know what the diameter of the splines is on a Campag freehub. If they’re larger than Shimano then the spacers may not fit, smaller and they’ll rattle

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Looks like Charlie The Bikemonger sales Campag kits. Problem solved.

nickf
    Free Member

If you just want to see if you can adapt to it, stick it in one gear and don’t change. It’s what I’ve done with my road bike, which is now ridden in one gear for 95% of the time. When there’s a real headwind or I’m properly knackered it might get a change-down for a hill, otherwise the shifter is left well alone.

After a while, if you’re happy, you can go through the faff of taking bits off and changing other bits around.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

f you just want to see if you can adapt to it, stick it in one gear and don’t change.

That’s what i’ve been doing for the last couple of weeks. I’ve been riding on the 53/19 ratio on my commute which has got me thinking about the conversion abeit a slightly easier ratio though.

qwerty
    Free Member

WHITE INDUSTRIES Eccentric Eric hub in 130mm is the neatest way to sort it properly

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Probably a stupid question but are track/ fixie/ ss cranks the same?

qwerty
    Free Member

Probably a stupid question but are track/ fixie/ ss cranks the same?

a cranks a crank a crank – don’t believe the hype

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

No not all the cranks are the same Road, Track and MTB cranks all have different BCD’s
    Sheldon Brown

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Single speed conversion for a road bike.’ is closed to new replies.