• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Single Speed Chain Tensioners
  • jon1973
    Free Member

OK, I'm considering turning to the dark side and single speeding my hardtail.

Looking at using THIS fixed position tensioner. It looks like it has two anchor points, the adjustable bid obviously attaches to where the rear mech was, and the fixed bit presumably goes over the end of the QR spindle, and held in place with a new nut.

My question is this; does the whole tensioner assembly have to come off when ever you take the rear wheel off (for puncture repairs for example).

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

OCB
    Free Member

Nah, that 😉 one looks like you'd just remove the QR, leaving the tensioner in place.

It looks like a kinda similar enough idea to the DMR one (as fitted to my SS), and that works fine – It just drops out of the way when the QR is released (admittedly I know how the DMR one works, and I am [only] guessing that the Gusset one is similar).

Go on, you'll never look back.
    You'll be fitting rigid forks next. 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

Yes, I'm going to do it. Next weekend. I've been watching some Charlie the Bikemonger videos on youtube, so it doesn't look too tricky. How many teeth have you got on that rear cog?

flatfish
    Free Member

i've used a rolhoff tensioner on a giant xtc nrs bouncer with great success, quite dear but works a treat.

OCB
    Free Member

Good work – go for it.
    🙂

It's a bit of an odd combination maybe – but I'm running a 34 front and a 20 rear.
    Both are Surly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed Chain Tensioners’ is closed to new replies.