Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Single speed bike to pull child's trailer
  • waller
    Free Member

Just wondering if this is doable really….

I have an old Santa Cruz frame with rear facing dropouts and have a child’s trailer coming to put my little girl in for leisurely rides on the flat gravely paths near where I live. It’s all pretty much flat.

If it is possible what sort of gearing should I be looking at? 32:18? I have never used a single speed so would be after something that I’m not going to blow my knees out with and not go too fast.

Any help or advice would be brilliant. I have loads of old bits and bobs laying around but to go the geared route I would need to buy a cassette, shifters etc. saving cash is a priority!

Thanks for any help.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Definitely doable. I do the nursery run every day on my Genesis day one. 42 – 18 with big wheels.

There’s only one wee hill on my route and it is quite an effort! The rest is fine.

Edit: Obviously child weight is a factor! Mine is almost 3st

waller
    Free Member

That’s great thanks Stuart 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ninkynonk
    Free Member

Waller, I used to take my twins round Llandegla blue in a double buggy running 32:18 now they’re a bit older (5) I tend to just use it for the school run so I’ve gone back to 32:16

Once you start off they roll really well and you hardly notice them

Oh yeah my forum name is taken from that strange train on “In The High Garden”, my daughters christened my bike that when towing the buggy and it just stuck.

ski
    Free Member

If it’s flat 32:18 should be fine, I used to trailer my two round in that ratio and if you get some speed up its amazing what slopes you can climb, the real problem is not the gears but rear wheel traction on gravel on the slopes 😉

Your little ones will love it mind.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I take my 3 year old tip nursery in the same bike as Stuart. it’s a decent set up.

takisawa2

Chilly comute…

IMAG0070 by pten2106, on Flickr

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve pulled mine on a fixie if that helps! If it’s flat I can’t see any need for a particularly low gear.

waller
    Free Member

That’s brilliant. Thanks everyone 🙂 will order everything I need today 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Single speed bike to pull child's trailer’ is closed to new replies.