Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Single speed
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

Just built a SS useinf a single 16 tooth rear and 32 front from a 9sp triple cran Chains the issue someone has said I need 3/32 or a 1/8 I think why not a top 8sp chainstill 1/8 but no need for the narrowness (is that a word)

Your thoughts appreciated

Rickos
    Free Member

Use whatever you have or can get cheap. A geary chain is apparently stronger than a SS chain these days anyway due to development and ting.

Tony.w
    Free Member

Iaways thought it was the other way around

tazzymtb

use a 9sp chain on my singlespeeds with no issues at all. There is too much pointless niche cack talked with SS riders sometimes 🙄

Tony.w
    Free Member

mmm a little to anal for me man

charliedontsurf

Kmc one speed specific chains like the z510hx are very strong and only £11. The z610hx is 3/32 so narrower, lighter and still only £11
    I have sold thousands of these and not had a single complaint. It’s what I use.

So why use a geary chain?

steve_b77
    Free Member

SS specific chain every time for me, use the correct components and stem-balls interface risk will be greatly reduced

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I bought a ss chain for mine, purely because i wanted to keep chain and cassette together should I want gears back, figured if I was going to buy a new one I may as well get a ss one!

epicyclo

The chain issue is not about strength.

A derailleur chain is designed to slip sideways easily off the sprockets. The best quality derailleur chains slide off like silk.

This is not a feature you will appreciate when grunting up a steep hill with your chainstays flexing from side to side. It can be eye watering.

Hence for the sake of your testicles it is better to buy a quality BMX chain, 3/32 or 1/8 doesn’t really matter.

And at the price of a KMC510 or 610, it’s cheaper.

julianwilson
    Free Member

never dropped or snapped either type of chain on singlespeed, I usually use KMC 6/7/8speed chain cos its cheap! I have a 3/32 singlepeed one on at the moment, again only cos it was cheapest at the time.

13thfloormonk

Never used a geared chain on my singlespeed, but can comment on the effectiveness of the KMC 1/8th chain, was dropping my SRAM PC-1 left-right and centre, but the KMC goes nowhere, even when slack.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Single speed’ is closed to new replies.