Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Single Ring/1×9 set up reliability
  • will
    Free Member

So back in July I started running 1×9 (36 – 11/32) on my XTC 29er. Idea behind this was save a little weight, less parts and therefore simpler, and also looks better.

Initial rides were great, and didn’t feel like I was missing the granny ring, or big ring.

However almost every ride there has been a mechanical in some way, snapper rear mech, snapped chain (about 5 times now) It’s starting to annoy me and i’m considering going back to 3×9 or maybe just 2×9, but there is an obvious cost associated with this.

Guess my questions is do others running a similar set up have issues? My thinking is that maybe i’m putting to much pressure through the drivetrain,and thus causing snapped chains etc…

I’m running a Hope SS ring, 11/32 deore spec cassette and a Sram PC951 chain and XT Shadow mech. Which was all new when I fitted it.

Probably worth pointing out that 2 of these rides were Mayhem and Sleepless so not ideal conditions, 3rd time was Kielder and the others have just been local rides.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Sounds like the chain is too short if you have snapped it that much. I started running 1×10 yesterday, no probs yet I couldn’t get the chain to drop off either as I don’t have a chain guide I was a little concerned it would.

simonbea
    Free Member

I had that same SRAM Chain which is now hanging from my xmas tree in star shaped decorations. I only just learnt that when a chain snaps you shouldn’t fix it with the standard pins and links, my chain had started snapping every ride, I kept fixing it this way and it would snap again. Only ever use powerlinks to join a chain apparently!

will
    Free Member

Short chain is quite possible.

Best way to get the chain length ring? Front ring and biggest ring at rear + 3 links as per the “normal” way with a 3 ring set up?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I dont know if there is a correct way to get it right. I just did what you said and added a link, my rear mech does look pretty stretched in the largest cog though:

woody2000

My rear mech is way more stretched than that (almost parallel to the chainstay), no problems yet(!)

Badly timed gear changes?

will
    Free Member

That picture is quite similar to how my mech was set up, maybe a little more stretched…

traildog
    Free Member

Zero problems at all, infact far less which is part of what I like about a 1×9 setup. Set the chain length by putting it in the largest cog, cycling the suspension and checking that the mech isn’t pulled excessively. I’m actually running a short road cage at the moment because it was spare and you can on a single ring setup.

I found SRAM chains went terrible some time ago and have not used one since snapping one, which was long before I went single ring. I dont’ know if they improved again as I’ll not take the risk.

weeksy

I ran my XTC29 for a year with 1×10, no issues at all with any drivetrain side of things.

Me thinks something isn’t quite right with yours OP.

will
    Free Member

Certainly doesn’t sound right does it! I’m putting a new chain (PC951 again)on and if needed a new cassette so hoping this will sort it out…

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Assuming your bike is like every other full suspension design I’ve encountered and the chain needs to get longer as the suspension compresses, set the chain length by unbolting the shock at one end and fully compressing the suspension and then set the chain length on the big sprocket as tight plus 2 or 3 links.
    You’ll be suprised how much extra chain the suspension needs, it’ll be that that’s killing the chain I’ll bet.

woody2000

It’s a hardtail robin

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Not that then!
    Apologies, misread the OP. Tight plus two links should be plenty for the chain on a single ring hardtail. Next most likely is the joining of the chain itself.

svalgis
    Free Member

I used a short caged Zee derailleur with literally as short a chain as I could for half a year with zero issues. This was on 1×10. Chain length shouldn’t be a problem if it’s a HT.

How is your chainline?

will
    Free Member

Chainline is pretty good from memory, although I can’t check at the moment.

I was hoping it was the links in the chain, but interested to see how other folk get on.

svalgis
    Free Member

Try a new chain to start with – can’t think of anything else really. KMC is good in my experience.

woody2000

How are you repairing the chain when you snap it will? Or have you replaced it each time?

will
    Free Member

Just remembered that KMC was the first chain, this was snapped at Mayhem and replaced with a PC951.

Been running this since, and when it has snapped 2 occasions have been powerlinks, the other just stuff it back together…

The very last time I bolted it back together just to get home! This happened 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Single Ring/1×9 set up reliability’ is closed to new replies.