Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Single ring up front- ring in inner or outer position of a double chainset?
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

Thinking of going 1×9 and have the question as per the title.

With a triple chainset you would use the middle ring position for a single ring set up. Would you use the inner or outer chainring position for a double chainset (going to be an FSA K-Force)? Or is it a case of try both and see which appear to give the best chainline across the range of gears?

Many thanks in advance, DanW

matthew_h
    Free Member

I would expect chainstay/chainring clearance to potentially be a little tight in the inner ring position but worth checking

DanW
    Free Member

Hadn’t thought of that!

I’ll be using a small 30T or thereabouts to start with as I need the climbing ability but not so much the top end speed on the tight and twisty trails near me- I think I have the clearance.

After that is is just a case of trying both and judging by eye which chainline looks best?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

I use a 36t on the outer position of an XTR M985.

brakes
    Free Member

I would use the outer one regardless.
    – better clearance
    – can you get a 30T chainring that will fit the smaller bolt pattern (if it’s actually different)
    – better to have more of angle on the chain going to the bigger sprockets on the back than the smaller ones (more teeth for the chain to hang on to and less power applied in bigger sprockets/ smaller gears)
    – will work better with a chain guide (roller, slot or bash type) if you use one, which you should

nedrapier

If you’re using any spacers on the drive side of the bottom bracket, you could lose one of them and use the outer. It won’t make a huge difference, but it’ll make you feel better that you’ve made amendments to compensate!

DanW
    Free Member

The crank BCD is 95mm so fits a 29T minimum either in the inner or outer position. No worries there.

Thanks for the extra tips brakes. Having it in the outer position even if the chainline is less ideal looking by eye makes sense.

I have ordered an e-thirteen seat tube mounted chain guide so hopefully this should work smoothly with the ring in the outer position.

Thanks!

njee20
    Free Member

You say no worries, but have you actually found a source of 95mm BCD rings?

DanW
    Free Member

njee20 there are plenty of custom ww routes such as your chainring and they are actually available aftermarket on CRC/ direct from FSA. FSA do seem to like short term unusual BCD’s it has to be said!

oxym0r0n

Hope the e13 fits okay. It is brilliant but there are only a few mm of sideways adjustment

njee20
    Free Member

they are actually available aftermarket on CRC/ direct from FSA

Not as a single ring though surely? It’s unique to their doubles, so you’ll be able to get a few different ratios, but not that many.

HBC or Experimental Prototype may be the only way to go, don’t expect it to be really straightforward.

DanW
    Free Member

I always expect anything to do with bikes to be “fun” and “interesting” to sort 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Single ring up front- ring in inner or outer position of a double chainset?’ is closed to new replies.