Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Single Ring On XTR Race Crankset M985 On Orange Alpine
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

Found a deal on a XTR M985 Race chainset.

Comes with a 30/40t combination. Bit weird but hey.

Looking at going single ring on this crankset as already run it on my other crankset.

Going to need an 88BCD Chainring but will the chain device be ok, as heard that it can sit weirdly due to a different Q Factor of these chainsets?

Also, would a 30/40t work with the Swingarm on an Orange Alpine 160 18 inch?

Thanks

robarnold
    Free Member

You’d be better with the triple chainset version for better chain line with the chain ring placed on the middle ring tabs. I’ve played round with a couple of combinations with double and triple chainsets and the best I’ve found is on my current M770 triple with the chainring on the middle ring 104BCD tab.

The spacing on the double chain sets put the chain ring a long way out from the BB shell (between middle and outer chainring position on a triple) compromising shifting and ability to effectively run a chain device. The chain line is crap and virtually in line with the bottom couple of cogs on the cassette.

Nice choice of chainset though, they look the dog’s danglies, would run one myself if I could afford it

Pridds

Wolftooth do one. Great rings and work brilliantly in 1x setups
    88 mm BCD Chainrings for Shimano M985

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Single Ring On XTR Race Crankset M985 On Orange Alpine’ is closed to new replies.