Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Single ring on a 29er
  • widge34
    Free Member

I run a 34t single ring on my 26″ orange. What would be the equivalent size ring for a 29er?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what sort of 29r, how fit are you, what sort of hills, what do you want from it?

36!

Missus settled on 32 on a X01 setup on an XC setup

widge34
    Free Member

Spesh stumpy fsr comp evo. Pretty fit. Run a few steep climbs, but have no problem running my 34t

danielgroves
    Free Member

I run a 32 on my 29er, I ran a 35 on my Meta 5 before it was nicked.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

28’s on both mine, used 32s fine, 36t was too tall

irc

To keep the same gear range go from 34 to 32.

For example a bike with 26×2.35 tyres and 32 chainring and 34 sprocket gives a gear of 26.4″.

With 26×2.1 tyres would be 25.9″.

A bike with 29×2.1 tyres and a 32 chainring to 34 rear sprocket is a 26″.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’d try the 34t first, see how you get on with it before deciding. You might find you want to drop down a size though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run a 32t front on my rigid forest dweller 29’er, ’tis also fine in Wales etc

bikerbruce
    Free Member

I run a 34t and in the peak district…Its about the right gear for me,But I am reasonably fit and its on an Xc hardtail,I figure any slower than that I’d be faster to run…with 11-36,Planning to go with my 11-40 cassette than Marcin over at Absolute black is going to be doing… that should cover me for every course and ride.
    Hope that helps
    Bruce

jobro
    Free Member

Just set up 32T on the front with 11-36 rear on my Czar.
    Been fine on the little riding I’ve done although I run SS in the winter here in Devon so I’m used to grunting away!

james
    Free Member

“I run a 34t single ring on my 26″ orange. What would be the equivalent size ring for a 29er”

30t I should think
    with singlespeed people always say 32:16 on a 26″ is the same (or about) as 32:18 on a 29er, a ratio change of 8:9, so similar to a 36t chainring to a 32t. so 34 to 30t seems about right to me

obviously as alluded to above, it depends on what tyres

nikk
    Free Member

32 tooth on a 26″ bike is about the same as a 29 tooth on a 29er.

I run 28 tooth at the moment as long, long days and big hills and carrying food and shelter for multiple day trips mean it’s good to go lower. I top out at about 20mph in top gear, which is again fine for longer rides. I do tend to find myself on the small end of the cassette a lot on shorter flatter rides, and I try not to use the two biggest cogs on the cassette on shorter rides. The idea is to have some bail out gearing on the low side, works ok for me atm.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Was running 36t on the 26″ but found it too tall on the 29″ so have gone down to 32t.

Not in the shape I was though so that hasn’t helped.

chiefgrooveguru

31 if you’re running slightly smaller tyres on the 29er, 30 if you’re running slightly bigger tyres. (559 vs 622 rim diameter).

chiefgrooveguru

FYI on 650B it would be 33t if you’re running smaller tyres, 32t with bigger tyres – but if you’re running narrow-wide (why wouldn’t you?) you can only have even numbers!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the bigger wheels are worth roughly 3 teeth. I’m running 28t but it’s quite hilly where I am .

rOcKeTdOg

Racing on a 32T on Sunday, gives a good range with a 36 on the rear

widge34
    Free Member

Cheers Guys. Ordered a 32t

trusty

You bought the stumpy then fella?

widge34
    Free Member

Put a deposit down mate. Ordered the ring from CRC yesterday lunchtime. Arrived today, free postage. Great service.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Single ring on a 29er’ is closed to new replies.