Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Single ring chain length help
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Right, I seem to have read more threads and info than I can count on this subject, so looking for personal experience and advise.

1×9 set up with a raceface narrow/wide ring and a 12-36 cassette. Usual method would be to run the chain from big to big, through the chain guide, compress the suspension to get the longest chain length and then add 2 links. Then pass through the mech and rejoin.

This seemed to result in a chain the was too short and it promptly broke halfway up the first climb of the day.

I assume the best way to size up is either as above but with an extra couple of links in, or to thread through the mech and size it so that there’s a definite ‘S’ bend in the chain line as it passes through the mech?

Any other methods or anything (else) I should think about? Foolproof methods preferably 😛

DanW
    Free Member

Just set it up the same way you would any other setup- big, big, plus 2 links.

Are you sure the chain snapped because it was too short? It could just be coincidence.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Could be, did look pretty short when sitting on the bike, but it seemed to shift ok. Was wondering if that big big technique was still good as you wouldn’t normally use that ratio on a 3 speed setup, but use it a lot on a 1 by setup.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    greeble
    Free Member

why are you bipassing the mech when getting the chain length?? some bikes have more than 2 links of chain growth as the frame goes through its travel

big ring/big ring, remove air/spring, compress suspension and check the chain length add or remove links depending on the mech cage position. around 4pm position is fine

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Greeble, I spent a chunk of this afternoon reading you and TJ arguing about this. 2 links to accommodate the mech cage, chain growth accounted for by cycling the shock while fitting the chain. Seemed to make sense, but less than ideal mech angle when in the 36t.

Anyone know what sram recommended for their 11 speed stuff?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Right, went ahead with Greeble’s technique. Looks a bit long to me, but will see how it rides.

greeble
    Free Member

that looks fine 😀

just compress the suspension and how does the mech look?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Not a whole lot to be honest, a few cm at the most. Cheers 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Single ring chain length help’ is closed to new replies.