Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Single ply tyre on the front for downhill?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

Anyone run a minion 2.5 exo for downhill and get away with it?

I’ll be running a 2.35 dual ply on the rear, but am thinking I might try a single ply on the front at the tracks down south are not too rocky.

Thoughts?

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s not the one you are referring to, but I use Spesh Clutch SX tyres on my DH bike and I think they are great: They offer as much grip as the Minion ST dual-plys I was using before, but are noticeably lighter.

Worth checking out if you fancy a change.

GW
    Free Member

I get away with a 2.5 single ply (non exo) minion up front downhilling at places like inners no probs. I don’t ever run low pressures there tho.

kudos100
    Free Member

How low are we talking? I normally run my front at 30 psi for DH and occasionally 25, so not that low.

GW
    Free Member

32 but I’m not exactly light (14+ st)

SPs need the extta pressure to prevent sidewalls folding, I’d prob go no lower than 28 with a DP

kudos100
    Free Member

You fat biffer 😛

schbeemb
    Free Member

I’ve been using a 2.4″ rubber queen at Aston Hill and on Cwmcarns downhill … single ply I believe but still heavy – reinforced sidewall. Grips very well. (hates certain types of mud though – Aston’s mud doesn’t clear from the tyre at all).

Bagstard
    Free Member

+1 mikey74, I’ve been using specialized clutch sx front and rear for DH for a year with no issues and sometimes with the front quite low. They are one and a half ply and a good compromise to keep the weight down, personally I wouldn’t run single ply for DH.

_tom_
    Free Member

Clutch SX for me as well.

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve used single ply Highrollers for DH for over 5 years. I think i’ve pinch flatted 3-4 times in that period (only one was on the front tyre). I’m 14+ st and generally run between 30-35psi F+R.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Single ply tyre on the front for downhill?’ is closed to new replies.