Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Single or Multiple cleats?
  • leonthepro
    Free Member

I am new to SPD's after years of riding flats, so far they are good. When I need new cleats should I go for single or multiple release cleats? Are multi easier to get out of?
    Thanks

tragically1969
    Free Member

I would say single, multiple feel weird and seem to come out at a moments notice all too easily

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Aren't single mainly for road use?

clubber
    Free Member

No, single are standard. Multirelease essentially allow you to clip in but any movement side to side or upward releases. I'd suggest that being able to pull up when clipped in in one of the advantages of clipless pedals so except for preventing any new-clipless-pedal falling off incidents, multi-release aren't very useful in the longer term.

cookeaa

I would say Single, as they are the default, what will have come with your Pedals, so you should have gotten used to them Multi-release are simply for easier release and allowing you to even pull up and out (I think) sort of defeating the whole point of SPDs. I pressure they are for people who often manage to get trapped in SPDs…

I foolishly suggested Multi release to a mate who was just trying SPDs for the first time;

He hated the buggers, and was popping out all over the place, he wound up abandoning his ride after 2 miles to go home and change the cleats…

brakes
    Free Member

multi-release cleats should come with a health warning, they are dangerous

allthepies
    Free Member

single +1.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yeah, i bought them by accident, first bunny hop on the trail and i nearly killed myself, was VERY careful for the rest of the ride.

rootes1

single release every time (black ones) don't worry – when they wear out they turn into multi release!

avdave2

Single here on their loosest setting. No problems with releasing when I don't want them too. I'd disagree with rootes 1 though as I couldn't believe how much easier it was to unclip after replacing old worn cleats with new ones.

CHB

single

leonthepro
    Free Member

Interesting, really thought most people would of said multi. Think I will stick with single then. Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Single or Multiple cleats?’ is closed to new replies.