Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • single malt with a bit of water.
  • ton

i know some condem it, and i know some say it is how you drink malts.
    releases the oils or something.
    but, i am sat sipping a dalwhinnie with a drop of water, and it is fantastic to be honest. kinda more flavoursome….. 😀

Drac

I’ve started doing it with odd one a tiny drop and it’s good.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Aye – I find a wee splash helps a lot – especially with Islay malts for some reason.

iainc

I love my Malts and have been known to have them neat, with a drip of water (about half as much again) or a couple of ice cubes. Different flavours, different moods, it’s all good 🙂

FeeFoo
    Free Member

When we visited the Dalwhinnie distillery they told us to drink it how we liked, with or without water.
    They also reckon it goes really well with Maltesers.

They ain’t wrong!

tyger
    Free Member

Angel’s tear 🙂

somafunk

I always “touch up” my malts wi drop of water, some malts get more water than others depending on whether their cask strength or whereabouts they’re from. Lowlands generally need the least (bladnoch) and speysides don’t need much either but a laphroig or ardbeg needs a good dowsing to allow the flavours to evaporate slowly.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Drink it any way you want, you paid for it.

Kryton57

I do that with Rum. Neat with one ice cube or literally a few drips of water.

deepo
    Free Member

I went to a diagio whisky night and they suggested a sniff and sip of neat, then a drop of water to release the flavours, more sniffing followed by an Oz Clark type of discussion regarding taste, aroma, undertones and hints….then add more water to taste. Works for me.

richmtb

Nothing wrong with adding a few drops of water. Some of the components that flavour the whisky are more soluble than others so adding a splash of water will alter the flavour.

Its up to you to decide which is better!

swavis

I generally use a wee splash but some like Balvenie Port Wood don’t need it

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Fair point fee foo. I’ve always applied the ratio of following the % volume of water. Currently sipping 2 examples: first up is a wee dram of Bowmore Darkest at 43%. Very nice. However, it’s nudged out by a cast strength Talisker 57deg north. Its totally blown any cobwebs away that have lingered. A great way to spend my 40th! Had dramming to you all. 🙂

TP
    Free Member

A drop of water is a winner in my eyes. I tell myself it eases the hangover too!!

firestarter
    Free Member

When I was over in Islay I stopped in at ardbeg and was meant to have a tour but due to a boiler fault it was cancelled so I got took to the board room for some tastings and the lady got lots of bottles out , and lots of glasses. I tried all with and without water

Conclusion was some were better neat and some we better with a drop of water in , so i continue to keep trying them all as much as possible 😉

stuey
    Free Member

<Old wives tale>
    You don’t get hangovers with good single malts
    <old wives tale/>
    (?)

ton

mick, going to islay in september, i shall be paying a visit to a few malt breweries.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Surely, given few whiskies you buy are cask strength, they,ve all had water added before bottling anyway, makes the add water argument into an add more water argument

nedrapier

Good idea! I bought a bottle of this the other day.

Not single malt, or from anywhere near Scotland, but let’s have a bash anyway…

craigxxl
    Free Member

Enjoy which ever way you prefer and sod everyone else

firestarter
    Free Member

It’s great Tony I went to bowmore, lagavulin, ardbeg and laphroaig. Ardbeg and laphroaig were really good ardbeg as they bent over backwards to look after me and my mate cos of the fault and at laphroaig we had the expensive taste tuition thing and the fella had family from Leeds recognized our accents and we just got smashed on cairdeas and prince Charlies cask lol I ended up with loads of bottles a softshell jacket and a lift back to the b and b as I was too wrecked to walk all that way lol great time was had looking to go back. We went in Feb and it was empty 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ned, that’s aftershave, mate

nedrapier

It’s pretty good, actually!

I’m no expert, but I won’t need any encouragement to keep drinking it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I wasn’t criticising, just reading the label.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I wasn’t criticising, just reading the label.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I just got a bottle of Tobermory 10 year old which really opens up with a bit of water.

crawf44
    Free Member

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2928.aspx I bought it as I liked the bottle, surprisingly tasty

nedrapier

crawf, you took the words out of my mouth! Who says marketing doesn’t work!?

wors

I want to go on a cycle tour of the distilleries up yon 😀

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

i’ve been advised by a very experienced whiskey drinking scotsman that when drinking cask strength (in a proper tasting glass, obviously) that you start with adding a small drop of water, then for each sip add the equivalent amount of water into the glass. The flavour changes as you drink more.

yet to try this out, but it sounds like a cunning plan

I also met a guy in a Dublin whiskey shop recommending specific types of bottled water to go with specific malts, possibly taking things a bit far

glupton1976
    Free Member

Some taste better with water, some dont. I often start drinking whisky neat and add tiny amounts of water until I find whatever taste I prefer.

Cougar

Some taste better with water, some dont. I often start drinking whisky neat and add tiny amounts of water until I find whatever taste I prefer.

… is the correct answer.

In other news, anyone around London next month?

http://whiskyfightnight.com/

ton

I want to go on a cycle tour of the distilleries up yon

more than welcome to make one in Jase.

RustySpanner

wors – Member

I want to go on a cycle tour of the distilleries up yon
    Jesus, that sounds like a damn good plan. 😯

Currently re-reading this:

Well worth a go for fans of whisky, Banks or both.

Just poured an Ardmore – smoother with a drop of water.
    I’ll try one of each. 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Sprinkled a bit in my ardbeg just now as the first sip blew my friggin head off!

mellowed it a bit, mmmm

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I did a Whisky triangle tasting sesh on MTBs in the 90’s. Think it was Tamnavulin, Tomintoul and Glenlivit, but not sure. Was a bit of a hazy struggle towards the end, I recall.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Only takes a tiny amount – I always add a drop (unless I’m in a bothy / past caring)

Been to > 100 whisky tasting evenings and every expert I’ve encountered (incl a few Master Blenders)have encouraged the participants to add a very small amount of water to release the esters.

Each to their own I guess but the guy above that suggested ice – that’s considered a complete and utter no no. This just has the opposite effect – completely kills the taste / aroma.

brakes
    Free Member

‘Whisky and threat’ every time, unless it’s a really tasty smooth smoky one.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I always used to poopoo the idea of having water in my Whiskey, but after having three bottles of Malt given to me at Christmas I read the tasting notes that came with the bottles and experimented with adding water and even ice and I must say it did make a difference and helped the flavour developed to I am a convert.

firestarter
    Free Member

Two in particular I remember reacting very different as ardbeg, supernova was watery tasting just just a drop of water but lovely without, but Corryv was much much nicer with a drop in

Each to their own, just remember once its in you can’t take it out 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘single malt with a bit of water.’ is closed to new replies.