Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Single Malt Whisky – If I like …..
  • robbespierre
    Free Member

“Benromach Organic. You’ll not find a better dram at that price point, and it’s in a similar vein to the ones you mention. Seriously, track it down.”
    +1

“Scapa 16 YO”
    +1

These are both the same type of taste that you like, but each has it’s own personality.
    Most replies above are nothing like the whiskys you say you like.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Just spent my lunchtime in Gordon and Macphail’s in Elgin. Was like a child in a sweet shop. Bought a half bottle of Linkwood 15yr, and another of Mortlach 15yr both of which are very nice. Also got a bottle of Glenrothes Select Reserve, which is quite subtle with a really nice marzipan finish.
    Have been designing a distillery expansion for the last few months from the office and just had my first visit to site this week so have got my ‘whisky head’ on at the moment. Such an interesting industry to work in, and the smell in the still house is just amazing.

CountZero

Looking at that chart, I’ll drink everything from Highland Park north. I have a particular fondness for Laphroig.
    And Lagavulin. And I have a little drop left of a 1991 Caol Ila Signatory Vintage…
    Mmmmmmmm! 😀
    It’s worth checking out the Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference range. The 12yo Islay is very beguiling.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Jura Elixir is well worth seeking out if you like your Juras. I’d say it’s a more drinkable expression than either the 10YO or the Superstition. Strangely, though, only available from Sainsbury’s supermarkets, and in half bottles. But quite often on special offer as well at around £13.

But using the old “how quick does a bottle take to empty” yardstick, which is the ultimate arbiter of how nice a whisky is, my most favoured recent discovery is Old Pulteney 12YO. Very smooth with a lovely tang o’ the briny off it.

mt
    Free Member

Cardhu and Tamdhu I find rather to easy to finish. Same with Glenlivet Smith 12yr
    Big fan of Glengoyne 10yr.
    craggenmore 10 is worth a look.
    Tomatin is very good.
    Really like any thing out of Oban.
    Talisker is great and brings on very many happy memories.

I could keep going for ages with names as I can honestly say that I have not found a bottle I have diliked over the years, my list preferences is more than i am capable of remembering. What I have started looking at is some the independent bottles of single malts rather than the distilleries own label. Companies that do not have colour added or the spirit messed about (chill filtered). When ever I’m in Tomintuol I nip into the Whisky Castle, great little shop. Taste loads, learn loads, spend far to much. It makes me proud that our companies product is used in the malting process, there’s nothing like a good site visit.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

There is no such thing as a bad malt whisky, but some are better than others!!!

I like the Speyside malts, 2 in particular.
    Mortlach – 16 years old
    The Singleton – 12 years old.

Both excellent. I’m not a big fan of the Islay malts but do appreciate that many people do. It’s the same as asking wheteher or not you drink whisky neat or with a small amount of water/ ice!!!

phildaws
    Free Member

Similar tastes to me, I would pick up a couple of smaller bottle of Talisker and Laphroaig to see if you like them. Sainsbury/Tesco tend to stock the smaller ones for £15 ish.

Talisker is a richer Jura 10yr, Laphroaig is like something you use to treat wounds….. but once you get the taste for it, nothing else quite hits the spot.

Oh… Asda Extra Special Islay Whiskey is made on the same Isle as Laphroaig and shares the same base notes, bit milder though, worth a try.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You need

Available from a well known tax dodging bookseller

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Single Malt Whisky – If I like …..’ is closed to new replies.