Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Single Malt Whisky – If I like …..
  • peteimpreza

The Dalmore 10yr old
    The Dalmore 15yr old
    Isle of Jura Superstition
    Isle of Jura 10yr
    Isle of Jura 12yr
    Bunnahabhain 12yr

What others should I try in the £30 to £50 price range?

hooja
    Free Member

laphroaig
    laphroaig quarter cask
    laphroaig un chill filtered series
    that’ll do!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Try some Yamazaki. Seriously. Everyone should try some, regardless.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Celtic Nations, I still have a bottle £50 to you.
    Caol Isla
    Old Pulteney

peteimpreza

Hooja are they similar to my list?

sofaking
    Free Member

Jura Elixir ?( only in sainsburys for some reason)

hooja
    Free Member

A lot smokier and a lot better, according to my taste buds. I didn’t like Jura superstition at all.
    Just try the std laphroaig first mmmmmm

athgray
    Free Member

Bit if a mix there. Some peated, some not. Lightly peated Islay malts like Jura, possibly Bruichladdich or Caol Illa. Clynlish is a nice malt a bit like Dalmore.

hooja
    Free Member

+1 on the Bruichladdich

Cougar

Benromach Organic. You’ll not find a better dram at that price point, and it’s in a similar vein to the ones you mention. Seriously, track it down.

Highland Park is worth a punt too.

+1 for Caol Ila, hugely underrated malt.

Hooja are they similar to my list?

Not even remotely. It’ll put hairs on your chest though.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Balvenie doublewood, to mellow out the smoke.

theteaboy
    Free Member

You like one distillery in the Highlands and a few of the more accessible Island/ Islay malts.

I’d suggest trying more from different regions without spending a fortune. Miniatures are the way forward! My local scotch shop is starting to decant big bottles into little bottles and is doing a miniature from each of the regions with tasting notes as a beginners tasting kit. 6 for £30 I think and you get to try the main 6 styles of traditional scotch.

Alternatively, my recommendation would be Highland Park – a little bit of smoke and lots of heathery stuff. I can’t stand Laphroaig, personally.

grum
    Free Member

Lagavulin 16 seeing as you like Islay – king of TCP whisky IMO. 🙂

Tried Yamazaki, wasn’t into it.

brakes
    Free Member

this might help…
    I’m a top left man myself

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Scapa 16 yo best dram I’ve had in a long time. Talisker would be worth a shot Or Highland Park as mentioned.

househusband
    Free Member

Bunnahabhain, Bowmore – my favourite.

IHN

Benromach organic +1
    Highland Park +1
    Balvenie Doublewood +1

I like those three a lot

homer

I like most of them.
    If you enjoy Bunnahabain then the 18 year old isn’t cheap, but well worth it.
    Springbank also worth a try…mmmm..whisky.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I have a bottle of Kilchoman got it for Christmas, worth finding as whiskeys follow the same formula for buying bikes.

Northwind

If you like diesel, you’ll love laphroig.

Serious- if you like Bunnahabhain, try Glenkinchie, it’s not the same but it’s got some similiarities- just a wee bit more forceful. But then Bunnahabhain and Jura are pretty different IMO

victorspeedboat
    Free Member

Don’t rule out the more recognised brands… just because a label is mainstream doesn’t mean it’s pish.

Nobody has mentioned Glenmorangie or Glenlivet yet – they do some nice aged malts.

For me I like different extremes for different moods / occasions;
    Laphroaig, plenty of speysides, all the way through to ‘easier drinkers’ – usually something in a triangular bottle.

Everyone should have a range of tastes in the quiver…

theblackmount
    Free Member

Hooja – Seriously? Think you’ve been sniffing too many field bandages.

Each to his own and all that but I find Laphroaig absolutely god awful stuff.

Caol Isla on the other hand…

TheFlyingOx

If you like the Bunnahabhain, try Dalwhinnie. Similar taste but a bit more delicate.

igm

Captain – Yamazaki, and this is speaking as a Scot, is actually rather nice. Not top flight, but fairly accessible and neither bland nor rough. As I recall they bought a Scots distillery (Bowmore?) and made the head distillery an offer he couldn’t refuse to set up a distillery in far flung lands – this of course made be the western isles equivalent of an urban myth.

irelanst
    Free Member

Does it have to be single malt and whisky? Or would a blended whiskey be OK?

You could get a Jamesons reserve or maybe even a gold reserve, both are really smooth drinking whiskeys.

If it must be single malt, then you can’t go wrong with a Macallan another one I tried and enjoyed recently was a Glenfiddich Solera Reserve or as mentioned earlier a lot of the Japanese stuff is very good.

If you want to find out if you like laphroaig, get a glass of cheap blended whisky and mix in a spoonful of Germalene and you’ll get the general idea!

JPR
    Free Member

Definitely go with the graph brakes posted. Kinda looks like anything in the bottom half of the graph would be worth you trying – I’d maybe suggest the Balvenie Double wood.

tyger
    Free Member

Ardbeg and Highland Park 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

given your penchant for the juras – id try an arran 10 or 12 its a bit more in your face than the jura but i like jura ALOT and the arran is comparable.

laphroig – try eating some cardboard soaked in bells 8 YO that would be about right .

kiwijohn

grum
    Free Member

Funny how the people who aren’t man enough to handle Laphroaig feel the need to slag it off. 😉

Bruichladdich Sherry Classic is another goodun – shame it’s been discontinued since Remy Martin took over. 👿

freddyg
    Free Member

Tamnavulin

Bruichladdie Rocks (can you still get that? haven’t seen it for ages)

Caol Isla +1

And as mentioned above – don’t discount blended either. Grant’s Sherry Cask is particularly nice (green label). As it can be had for under £15, it’s got to be worth a punt.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Laphroaig – drunk enough of it to be sure.

I’d describe it more as a badge of honour / rite of passage / something you suffer to humour your host type whisky. But it will always come in handy on the battlefield. 😉

wallace1492
    Free Member

Glengoyne – Tea Pot Dram, very tasty and enjoyable.

messiah
    Free Member

Glenfiddich 15 is the new (same as) the old Solera, and what a fantastic drop that is. It has the honey like mellowness you probably like from Jura but with a more solid wood/sherry influence; so I would highly reccomend this.

Springbank tends to be expensive but they are special (also goes for Longrow).

The other thing is to step away from your comfort zone… gently.

Old Pultenay is a favouite of mine for it’s salty like tang.

Glenfarclas and Aberlour are often overlooked but are fantastic with a bigger body than some other Speysiders. Especially the cask strength and 15+ versions.

Talisker I love for it’s peppery-spicey-ness.

Highland park is always good and I’ve enjoyed a Scapa if you can find one.

Laphroaig/Ardbeg/Lagavulin as mentioned because they are what they are… pure mental for Laphroaig.

Benromach organic is more like a Bourbon than a traditional Whisky because of it’s use of new oak. One to try for sure.

bigG
    Free Member

+1 for Caol Ila

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Try some Yamazaki. Seriously. Everyone should try some, regardless.

try this if you like drinking kerosene. Awful stuff in my experience.

You might also like to try one of the limited run blends that feature large quantities of Islay malt. Big Peat is good, and there’s a new bunnahabhain malt blend that I bought in Belfast airport duty free on Monday. Will report back on how good it is.

t_i_m
    Free Member

Alternatively, my recommendation would be Highland Park – a little bit of smoke and lots of heathery stuff. I can’t stand Laphroaig, personally.

+1

Seeing your list, I’d also recommend the Glenkinchie (esp the Distiller’s edition if you can find one in your price range).

brakes
    Free Member

whisky is weird and very much down to taste – I think Laphroaig is one of the easiest whiskies to drink and very moreish.

Cougar

Laphroaig is good stuff, but it certainly isn’t an easy drink. It’s an acquired taste (but well worth acquiring).

dyna-ti

Unfortunately i cant supply you the bottle or the contents but i do frequent the cabinet shop that makes the cases

World’s Oldest Whiskey: Mortlach 70 Year Old

brakes
    Free Member

love it

Some liquors are aged. Others are just freaking ancient

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Single Malt Whisky – If I like …..’ is closed to new replies.