Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Single finger braking
  • ahsat

Never been one for single finger braking as it doesnt feel that secure. However after chopping a chunk off my finger last night and this mornings trip to Minor Injury as it was still bleeding, I am wondering if this is the time to learn…

Not going to get a glove over it so could be a bit chilly but thinking some clingfilm might stop it getting too muddy!

Good job it wasnt my ring finger, p20 and I get married in 2 weeks!

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve got a sizeable chunk missing on the index finger of my left hand which is my braking finger. Never had a problem. I remember my brother bringing the chunk of finger with him ( on ice) to the hospital, the doctor took one look at it and asked my brother to take it away.

bones76
    Free Member

I brake only using one finger and would say as long as you have your brakes set up/positioned correctly on your handlebar then you won’t have any problems…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

Its all about setup, a brake lever positioned for 2 finger braking wont be as useful/comfortable/secure? as if you position it for single finger braking. Put your hand on the bar and move the brake till the tip of the lever sits right, you might need to adjust reach too.

ahsat

Cheers STATO – will have a fettle!

ahsat

More to the point I am going to look a right idiot with my middle finger stuck out like a beacon! Lol!

andrewh
    Free Member

I am wondering if this is the time to learn…

It’s as good a time as any I suppose.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I got into the habit of one finger braking after riding motorbikes as having the other fingers around the throttle makes it easier to blip it and brake at the same time on downchanges. One finger is plenty for most modern bikes.

andrewh
    Free Member

I still remember the old 6 finger plastic levers and canti brakes. Modern brakes will be fine.

IA

I’ve been one-finger braking since I moved from cantis to vees, you’ll be fine!

Can’t imagine ever wanting to pull a modern disk brake harder than I can with one finger, can easily lock the wheels.

There’s definitely a rude joke to be made about the shape of that dressing*… 😉

*been there with a fractured thumb

muckytee
    Free Member

I only 1 finger brake, I don’t see the point of braking with 2 fingers as you will just skid. You may not have as much grip on the bars with that bandage on mind.

motozulu
    Free Member

Unlucky!

On the bright side, you should get a discount on that Wedding manicure. 😀

nuke

Do it. Once you get use to one finger braking, it feels odd to have it setup any other way…all my bikes are setup for one finger braking now including my Dahon folding bike with vees.

ianv
    Free Member

In Andorra last summer, i got told off by a bike patrol guy for not encouraging my son to brake with one finger. He reckoned it was dangerous not to.

the_lecht_rocks

Lever position is critical offering the leverage needed to one finger brake. Also, I like no free travel in the lever and find that helps. Modern discs don’t need 2 fingers to slow.

daveh
    Free Member

Time to cut a finger out of an old set of gloves I’d say!

belugabob
    Free Member

If you set your brakes up specifically for single finger braking, you’ll find it more comfortable. Swap your shifters and levers around, so that the levers are nearer to the stem than the shifters are. You may need to fiddle with the spacing until you get it right, but your index finger only has to line up with the hook at the end of the lever to be able to easily apply enough pressure to stop.

Also, you may want to try these alternatives to cling-film

ahsat

belugabob – thanks for the link! They are a good idea!

Ended up leaving the bike at home and walking in the snow on the moors! Will fettle the bike tomorrow and give it a go, even if I dont end up going very far it will be an interesting experiment.

On the bright side, you should get a discount on that Wedding manicure.

Lol – as a stw girl, did think about a manicure!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You get much firmer grip on the bars using your index finger so get with one finger tip braking. But you have to get your levers just right to get full power without straining. Worth it.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I mostly use my middle finger seems nicer to just tickle with that 🙂

glen815
    Free Member

Forget the cling film, a condom and a zip tie, job done.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Single finger braking’ is closed to new replies.