Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Single file cyclists…. Facebook page
  • charliedontsurf

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Single-File-Cyclists/333571206765575?hc_location=timeline

You will love this:

Cyclists who die are idiots.

Cyclists should only be allowed to use cycle routes.

pipnet1
    Free Member

I’d like to think that was a troll, but I doubt it.

martinhutch

As one commenter says, encouraging people to take pictures with their mobiles while driving behind ‘law-breaking’ cyclists isn’t exactly best practice, is it?

shermer75
    Free Member

He (or she) is pretty careful about that, specifying that its the passenger who should take the photo

PiknMix
    Free Member

they do state that the passenger should be doing the photography 😉

whattyre
    Free Member

pretty bad isnt it? ive always thought that a big group of riders going down a road is very visible to cars/traffic from both directions.ive ridden in big groups and have always felt pretty safe

glupton1976
    Free Member

Should and must mean two totally different things in the highway code.

shermer75
    Free Member

This person is really angry. And likes to photograph men’s bums a lot. Whilst getting very angry about those bums. All those bums, getting in the way of his life, stopping him from being the man he wants to be. ‘Aargh’ he says to himself, ‘why can’t I stop thinking about men’s bums!!!”

PS he also has a friend called ‘Butty’ (in the comments)

martinhutch

they do state that the passenger should be doing the photography

Missed that one. I’m sure all the contributors are scrupulous about doing that. The crazy thing about the original photograph of the triathlete bunch is that it appears to be an easy pass from that position. Good view of the road ahead. I can only assume that the ‘passenger’ was too busy taking a picture to get on with the overtake.

xiphon
    Free Member

To be fair, as a driver I get pretty annoyed at groups of riders 2 or 3 abreast who insist on making it difficult to overtake them. There’s almost a slight arrogance about them.

“We could be considerate road users and make it easier for you to overtake us when safe to do so, thus allowing you to continue your journey – but we won’t – so tough sh*t”

If you want to have a chat to your mates, go for a walk with them, not side by side on the roads!

Around here the farmers are very good at pulling over in their tractors to let a queue of cars behind them pass.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Highway code regarding more than 2 abreast is not law as they seems to think.

“You should never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends”

Must do are law
    Should do are recommendations

That said, I very rarely ride in a group and would never purposely hold up traffic as I know how irate drivers become.

brooess
    Free Member

2 abreast is safer – more road presence, legal and makes a given number of cyclists easier to overtake because the overall length of the group is shorter.
    It’s also more efficient – and was how club cyclists were riding before most of today’s drivers’ grandparents were even born! Certainly before cars came into mass usage in the UK after WW2…

The levels of ignorance apparent in the anti-cycling lobby are quite shocking.

On the other hand, with significantly more people riding, much more local and national political attention being paid to growing cycle use, social media giving us a voice against people like Emma Way, AA changing the way they teach new drivers to be cyclist-aware, and now even Jeremy Clarkson appearing to throw in the towel, it does feel like the momentum is beginning to turn and the antis are being seen as the ones who are out on their own…

shermer75
    Free Member

I like the fact that that he spent ten minutes behind the Herfordshire ‘Triathan’ Club when you can clearly see, from the guy’s own photo, that there was ample opportunity to pass.

fasthaggis

If you want to have a chat to your mates, go for a walk with them, not side by side on the roads!

Well done ,I have just awarded you 100 internet points.

xiphon
    Free Member

The longer the driver is “held up”, the more irate they become, and so the more likely they are to execute a dangerous overtaking.

Many roads are wide enough for a car to safely overtake a line of single file riders, with oncoming cars.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I ride two abreast with mates/club on wide open roads, but (in the interests of harmony amongst all road users) we almost always go down to single file if it’s holding traffic up.

stumpy01

The other day a white van man in a small Berlingo sized van spent so long shouting, swearing and doing the coffee bean shake at two cyclists who were riding 2 abreast while alongside them, that he almost forced me to swerve off the road as he was heading straight for me (I was driving).
    It was only because I saw what was happening so had slowed down a lot and tooted at him that he realised where he was (completely on the wrong side of the road) and completed his overtake, while still shouting and swearing.

Not quite sure what his problem was, because the riders held no one up any longer than they would have done had they been single file. They were on a dead straight bit of road and until I ‘got in the way’, there had been no approaching cars, so the cars in front of this van just overtook as normal and used the whole road.
    He decided he’d get all ranty for no good reason, took his eyes of the road and nearly caused an accident, but I guess that’s OK because he pays road tax….? 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The longer the driver is “held up”, the more irate they become, and so the more likely they are to execute a dangerous overtaking.

This is like bullsh1t bingo! Please keep going… i’m waiting for “they think they own the road”.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I can only assume that the ‘passenger’ was too busy taking a picture to get on with the overtake.

Or it was Molgrips driving?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I …………….. would never purposely hold up traffic as I know how irate drivers become.

I regularly hold trafic up, if it’s not safe to pass I’ll stay where the cars nearside wheel would be and stop them. When it’s safe to pass they can pass safely using a wider bit of road or the other lane. If it’s safe to pass but the road’s too narrow/busy to allow them over the central lines I’ll pull over to the gutter momenteraly to let them.

If you ride meeky in the gutter thinking it’ll appease the swivel eyed loonie fraction of drivers, you’re just asking for a wing mirror to the back of the head when one decideds it’s safe to pass when it isn’t.

soobalias
    Free Member

reminds me of my time in ‘nam, man.

fasthaggis

I love the way that some people think there is a different overtaking procedure , when it comes to cyclists.

If it is safe to overtake ,then do so.
    If it is not safe to overtake ,then wait till it is.
    Oh hang on,I will just squeeze past anyway.

With oncoming traffic ,would they squeeze past a ..

Milkfloat
    Tractor and trailer
    Horses
    Motorcycle

No they wouldn’t ,but it’s only a cyclist 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

Many roads are wide enough for a car to safely overtake a line of single file riders, with oncoming cars.

– wrong. there is enough room to squeeze past not to safely execute an overtake with adaquate room – say i swerve out to avoid a big pothole that may throw me from the bike. – what corrective action will you take when you have no where to go ? that is why you give a cyclist/motorcyclist/scooter rider the same room as a car.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Milkfloat

I really want to see a two abreast milkfloat race now.

allthepies
    Free Member

Trolling and hooking a few fish IMO 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Troll or not I may just have been tempted to post the Highway code pic for overtaking cyclists there….

kayak23

Got buzzed by a yout yesterday and caught him at the lights. I politely asked him if in future he could give cyclists more room.
    Not sure he knew what to do with that…but he said yes. 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

kayak23 +1. If you can face it, a good natured chat is always the most effective (and probably the hardest!) thing to do. Even if the person does have a backpfeifengesicht 😉

richmtb

Obvious facebook troll

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Troll or not I may just have been tempted to post the Highway code pic for overtaking cyclists there…. “

yep im waiting for the backlash for posting the ACTUAL highway code as oppose to their made up laws.

natrix
    Free Member

I really want to see a two abreast milkfloat race now

Now that you’ve suggested it, that’s all I can think about 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

To be fair, as a driver I get pretty annoyed at groups of riders 2 or 3 abreast who insist on making it difficult to overtake them. There’s almost a slight arrogance about them.

OH dear here we go

Why nit go out in a group of riders on the road say 7 of you spread out in single file down roads and let me know how often and how many cars just overtake a few then pull in dangerously into the line ans let me know how safe you feel doing this.
    When I ride two abreast the second rider is pretty much in primary so there being no one on the inside would make F all difference

“We could be considerate road users and make it easier for you to overtake us when safe to do so, thus allowing you to continue your journey – but we won’t – so tough sh*t”

If all they met was considerate drivers whose primary response was to overtake without endangering them they probably would do this. sadly many tomes you have to ride in a manner that stops an impatient inconsiderate **** from endangering your life

if you ever rode on the road you would know this…go one say you cycle too as well as your defence 🙄
    FWIW when you they get irrate i feel glad i just saved myself from a **** with no consideration for my safety

Seriously car drivers will do all kind of crazy bat shit mental stuff to get past you

Once had a car with a trailer overtake me on ablind bend by being completely on the wrong side of the road [ i was doing 28 mph at the time] and drive straight into a bus. This was my fault for being so wide in the road – Why was i there to stop him overtaking and because when they try this move and see the bus they just pull over into my space and run me over.

xiphon
    Free Member

Funnily enough, yes. And probably more on the road bike than all the others combined 😉

I have the same attitude as this ^^

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I ride two abreast with mates/club on wide open roads, but (in the interests of harmony amongst all road users) we almost always go down to single file if it’s holding traffic up.
    I have the same attitude as this ^^

I ride in the same place in the road if it’s me or if I’m in a pair 1/3 ish from the left. Enough that a car needs to think before overtaking as there is not enough room otherwise. I’ve had people squeeze past in the most stupid of places and as pointed out by others try and blame me for them nearly hitting oncoming traffic. At least out from the gutter I have somewhere to go.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive got a bite 😉

brooess
    Free Member

There does seem to be a trend at the moment to pull out for an overtake without actually checking the road is clear.

I’m surprised I’ve not seen a head-on collision yet, I’ve seen a few close ones… I am rather shocked at the lack of risk assessment and ability to think through the consequences of their actions…

Then again, I could say the same about the RLJer in Croydon who came very close to being hit when, as well as going through a red light, made the schoolboy error of not looking for traffic coming through the green light either. Maybe he was blind?

ransos
    Free Member

If there isn’t room to get past two cyclists riding abreast, then you shouldn’t be overtaking.

GrahamS

Deary me. 😕

I suggest some tactical “Liking” of the sensible comments.

If there isn’t room to get past two cyclists riding abreast, then you shouldn’t be overtaking.

Nail. Head.

For the record I spent a fair bit of time riding three-abreast at the weekend (on quiet singletrack roads).
    The only aggro we got in three days was while we were riding single file!

Some daft bat in a Faux-by-Faux decided to attempt a close overtake, rather than waiting literally 30 seconds for the next passing place. Funnily enough even in single file there wasn’t enough room for her to pass safely on a singletrack road. So she drove dangerous close to the back rider, sounded her horn, then squeezed past with two wheels on the verge while giving us the finger.

If we had been riding 3 abreast we could have kept her safely behind us till the passing place.

xiphon
    Free Member

If we had been riding 3 abreast we could have kept her safely behind us till the passing place.

Are you deciding for her when it’s safe to overtake?

scaled
    Free Member

Are you deciding for her when it’s safe to overtake?

Safe for who?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Single file cyclists…. Facebook page’ is closed to new replies.