Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • single chainring question
  • yetidave
    Free Member

Im going to be doing some more road stuff (slicks going on) so thinking about upping gearing a bit. I have a 1×9 currently running a 30t chainring, which is fine most of the time (off road) until I go on the road, when I find myself spinning out maybe 20% of the time. How much difference would it be stepping to say a 34 or 36t ring? I don’t want to fit a front mech and go 2x .

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/black-by-absoluteblack-narrow-wide-oval-single-chainring/rp-prod131089

I run this and it is superb for wht you’re looking for. Sounds like a 34T would be belting.

Have you sorted your slicks yet mate? I’ve got a pair for sale.

RobHilton
    Free Member

30 to 34 is 13% increase

30 to 36 is 20% increase

Courtesy of Sheldon:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Sundayjumper

30 to 34 is 13% increase

30 to 36 is 20% increase

Courtesy of very, very basic maths.

hopkinsgm

Also worth bearing in mind that if you’re changing from knobbly tyres to slicks, you’ll almost certainly drop the overall circumference and that will have the effect of lowering your gear ratio. I’d reckon you’d want to go a couple of teeth bigger to address this, and that’s *before* you worry about spinning out with your current setup

RobHilton
    Free Member

SundayjumperAsshole

Something sneering & unhelpful…

We can’t all be that Steven Hawkins you know

Meanwhile the OP has now been made aware of a nice, useful tool that might assist him greatly in his quest & highlight that there are other factors than just cog size that will influence his approach.

And he *may* have just been introduced to a fantastic character in the cycling world in the form of SB

yetidave
    Free Member

thanks folks, looks like a 36 it is.

Always amazing that a simple question like this can provoke helpful, slightly cheeky and some sneering all in five replies. Happy STW 😀

Jonny, yep, sorted slicks now thanks.

Sheldon Brown, I have heard of, but never explored, thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘single chainring question’ is closed to new replies.