Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Single chain ring with no chain guide, ok?
  • GaryBanham
    Free Member

I’m full of questions tonight but cheers for helping!

On previously mentioned on one build I’m going to be running 1 x 9 set up so I can use items from an old bike as I need to keep cost low (ish)

With that in mind if I run a single and bash and the riding the bike is used for is Swinley type single track (maninly) is there an urgent need to get a guide or do you think it will be ok?

As always any comments or experience welcome!

Thanks
    Gary

rOcKeTdOg

what ring are you using, a ring off a 3×9 chainset will be ramped and will naturally want to throw the chain off, a SS or DH specific ring will have no ramps and will work better, remember you don’t need the same length chain as a 3×9 set up either

GaryBanham
    Free Member

Ah yea fair point yes, also forgot to consider chain so cheers 🙂

I’ll be using a single specific ring @ 34T.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

A single specific ring will help, but some form of chain retention will be a distinct advantage. A locked out front mech would be a cheap and perfectly functional option.

GaryBanham
    Free Member

A single specific ring will help, but some form of chain retention will be a distinct advantage. A locked out front mech would be a cheap and perfectly functional option.

Super, I’ve got a few spare so will do for now!

🙂

mattstreet

I impatiently took my new build round Swinley as a 1×9 whilst waiting for a front mech to turn up. Still had full triple up front, and the chain did bounce off quite a few times onto granny. The single-specific front ring, shorter chain and a short-cage mech may help though, but I’d say some sort of chainguide is worth it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Fine on smooth trails, but likely to sneakily jump off when you hit gnarl which causes the derailer to bounce around. And then then there is an embarrassing moment when you try and pedal again!

I have ordered the E13 top device (blinkin expensive), but fitted and adjusted an old front mech as a stop-gap.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

superstar do their chainguide, which looks and works identically for (iirc) £17…

EDIT – £14… http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=362

charliedontsurf

I have not got round to putting a guide on my 1×9. Only dropped the chain once in a year and I just found it off at the bottom of a rough dh. To illustrate this somewhere you may know… It Stayed on all the way round afan.
    Use a ss specific ring. Fsa do a good cheap one. And get the chain nice n short. You will be fine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Single chain ring with no chain guide, ok?’ is closed to new replies.