Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Since everyone else is doing it…
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

I’ve seen lots and lots of threads about depression on here recently (which is actually sparking up a whole other set of worrying issues for discussion in my head, but more on that later).

There is one thing I wonder though – does everyone posting in those threads actually realise the difference between “depressed” and “sad”?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not really no, having never been clinically depressed. Can you explain?

RealMan
    Free Member

Is this the thread where people tell other people who are feeling bad that there’s nothing wrong with them and they should just get a grip and stop being such a cry baby?

ahwiles
    Free Member

no, that’s the edinburgh trams thread…

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’m not sure I can explain really – I would not be able to do it justice, and would be bound to omit certain things that others experience.

The best description for what I experience is broadly that it’s a set of mental, behavioural and chemical feedback loops which all combine to reinforce negative views and feelings, until they reach the ultimate conclusion that everything is pointless and/or beyond repair. I’ve learnt to break the various cycles much of the time, but it’s a horrible experience when I can’t.

The worst thing is that beyond a certain point I lose the motivation and confidence to do what I know I need to in order to stop the decline.

You’ll usually find that depressed people do not want sympathy or attention – They’ll hide it all away.

binners

Is this the thread where people tell other people who are feeling bad that there’s nothing wrong with them and they should just get a grip and stop being such a cry baby?

I expect the usual suspects will be along shortly to do just that. For my own part I have at times been clinically depressed. However, I have always been, and shall forever remain, a right sad bastard

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Since everyone else is doing it…’ is closed to new replies.